Last weekend I finished a mini quilt for a private swap, and now that it has been received I can tell you about it! The paper pieced pattern for the central portion of the quilt is called Triple Goosed by Jelli Quilts. I pieced the quilt top while I was at the Quilt Bliss retreat, and I brought it home to quilt.
The center panel is made from (12) paper pieced sections, and the flying geese in the center of the circle are tiny! I am really proud of how it came together, even with my pretty beginner paper piecing skills. Overall, the Triple Goosed panel finished at 14-inches square.
I thought the mini quilt could use a bit more size, so I used the same rainbow bundle I had pulled for the flying geese to create a fun border. Each strip for the border finishes at 1-inch by 2-inches, bringing the finished size of the mini quilt to 18-inches square.
I quilted this mini quilt on my long arm. I loaded the backing as normal, but I placed the mini quilt “on point” or rotated 45-degrees. Then I simply ran my long arm back and forth horizontally or vertically to create the angled quilting. This is a technique that my husband has been championing me to try for a while, and it worked out really well. I did not use channel lock but rather opted to organically sew the lines, but they still came out pretty straight and true.
I used 50wt Aurifil 2024 for the quilting, and I am really pleased with how well the white blends in across all the different colors. I contribute it to the fact that while some of the prints are tone-on-tone, many of the prints are actually white lines, and the quilting is less bold then the white print, so the eye lets it recede into the background until viewing the quilt up close and in fine detail.
It is pretty amazing how well the prints read even at the very small scale in the central (tiny) flying geese circle.
Pulling the fabrics to create the color wheel rainbow was more of a challenge than I had anticipated, and I spent a lot of time cultivating the bundle. If you are interested, the fabrics I used are:
- Background and Backing: Kona White
- Pearl Bracelets, Poppy, Lizzy House
- Mercury, Flame Orange, Alison Glass
- Pearl Bracelets, Tulip, Lizzy House
- Cotton + Steel, Netorious in Roadster
- Pearl Bracelets, Metallic Gold, Lizzy House
- Mercury, Sun Yellow, Alison Glass
- Barcelona, City Map in Lime Green
- Pearl Bracelets, Grass, Lizzy House
- Cotton + Steel, Netorious in Teal
- Bike Path in Blueberry, Alison Glass
- Mercury, Cobalt Blue, Alison Glass
- Making Waves in Navy, True Colors by Tula Pink
- Pearl Bracelets, Larkspur, Lizzy House
- Michael Miller Stitch Square Passion
- Cotton + Steel, Mochi Floral in Purple
- Maison Outline Houses, Michael Miller
- Binding: Tiny Hearts, Timeless Treasures