Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I was able to piece and finish the baby sized charity quilt for Project Linus using blocks created and collected from the 2015 New Block Blog Hop. Thank you so much to the 6 women who designed and created the blocks used in this quilt. They are listed below left to right, top to bottom as seen in the quilt, and the links take you to the free tutorials on how to replicate the blocks seen here.
- Beth @Cooking Up Quilts
- Bernie @Needle and Foot
- Jess @Quilty Habit
- Martha @Once a Wingnut
- Sarah @Sarah Goer Quilts
- Deanna @Stitches Quilting
To make the quilt a bit larger, I used some Kona White from my stash and added 4.5-inch unfinished (4-inch finished) sashing around the blocks. The quilt is bound in Kona Royal from my stash and backed with a print my mother-in-law found for me, Summer’s Almost Over by Susan B. Faeder for Free Spirit.
I used a combination of 50wt Aurifil 2024 and 2021 for the quilting. Why the need for two colors? Because I ran out of 2024 and the 2021 change is barely noticeable! I treated each quilt block on its own for quilting. I started by outlining each block and then doing what seemed to be best for each as I went along. I did all the quilting free handed.
Martha, my husband loves this block and the quilting detail. 🙂
And as you have probably noted, I quilted a long back and forth line in the sashing. Overall, I really like the textured effect all the quilting gives the quilt.
The quilt is currently 36-inches wide by 50.5-inches long and is waiting to get its first wash. Due to the fact that the Fabri-Quilt salmon solid is known to bleed, I have ordered some Synthrapol and Color Catchers and will wait until those arrive before washing the quilt.
Thanks again to the sponsor of the new block blog hop, Fabri-Quilt, for donating the fabric for the quilt blocks and to my fabulous co-hosts Cheryl @Meadow Mist Designs, Stephanie @Late Night Quilter, and Terri Ann @Childlike Fascination. I am eager to start piecing the larger quilt next!