My selection of pre-made quilts are available for purchase via my Quilting Jetgirl Etsy store. I also have my quilt patterns available via my Quilting Jetgirl Payhip store.
Custom Quilts / Quilts on Commission
I specialize in creating custom, one-of-a-kind crib to lap size quilts. I take pleasure in creating quilts customized to match your vision. If you would like a quote for a custom quilt, please contact me with details in what you would like in a custom quilt (size, colors, time frame, etc.). You can reach me via email at jetgirl8(at)gmail(dot)com.
I make one-of-a kind, individually designed quilts. I rarely use pre-made patterns and I do not typically make the same quilt twice – I take pleasure in working with you to create a unique design. So there are a few things you and I will discuss at the beginning, and any thoughts, ideas, or wishes you have about these topics are extremely helpful as we begin to explore commissioned work.
The first thing to think about is how you want the quilt to be used. Do you want the quilt to be functional or decorative?
- Functional quilts are hard-wearing and able to be dragged around as a favorite blanket, chewed, rolled on and thrown in the wash frequently.
- Decorative quilts are more along the lines of a wall hanging to brighten up the room and provide visual stimulation. Decorative quilts are stunning but use some different techniques and are not intended for regular washing (in fact, I probably will not wash it before I deliver it to you). They typically take a lot more effort to make and are therefore more expensive.
You also need to think about the theme you want for your quilt (e.g. M.C. Escher, butterflies, pink, airplanes, cars, fall color…). There may be a hobby or favorite color that someone in the family adores that could provide inspiration for a quilt.
There are three main styles of quilting: traditional, art, and modern. Each style has its own unique characteristics and each style of quilting is important to sustaining the quilting community as a whole. I specialize in modern quilts, and I can also lean a bit traditional. Per The Modern Quilt Guild website:
Modern quilts are primarily functional and inspired by modern design. Modern quilters work in different styles and define modern quilting in different ways, but several characteristics often appear which may help identify a modern quilt. These include, but are not limited to: the use of bold colors and prints, high contrast and graphic areas of solid color, improvisational piecing, minimalism, expansive negative space, and alternate grid work. “Modern traditionalism” or the updating of classic quilt designs is also often seen in modern quilting.
To get a sense of what I might be able to do for you, please visit my Quilt Gallery and Quilting Jetgirl Etsy Store to see quilts I have previously made.
The final price for a quilt depends on:
- Size – Larger quilts take more fabric and more time
- Materials – Fabric and batting alone can cost $80 for a small baby sized quilt
- Complexity – An individually designed, highly decorative quilt that involves a lot of detail sewing work and a lot of decorative quilting is gorgeous, but it does cost more.
Before committing to working with me, I will provide you with a cost estimate for your project. The cost estimate will be based on the above factors (size, materials, complexity, style, theme, and use), the time it will take me to design and create your quilt, and fees like sales tax. I typically give a very rough initial cost estimate range at the beginning and then refine the estimate once the design has taken shape. The first few hours I spend working with you to explore the possibility of me creating a quilt for you are free. I will let you know when I start to track my hours working for you, and my current labor rates are as follows:
- $20/hour for quilts and quilting
- $15/hour for quilted placemats
If you are interested in reading about what people have to say about working with me and the quality of the quilts I have made for them, please check out my customer testimonials page. You can also check out my Quilting Jetgirl Etsy store reviews.