Muditā - Free Motion Quilting
Quilts

Muditā {Quilting}

Basting small quilts is usually quick and easy. For whatever reason, when I basted Muditā, I decided to use a LOT of pins, so it took me slightly longer than I had anticipated.

Muditā - Basted

Muditā – Basted

After I finished basting and stepped back, I had to laugh at myself. Those pins are only 1-2 inches apart!

Muditā - Stitch in the Ditch

Muditā – Stitch in the Ditch

I started quilting by stitching in the ditch around the perimeter of all of the pieced circles and partial circles. I decided to use the same thread that I pieced the quilt top with for the quilting: 50wt Aurifil 2530 (Blossom Pink).

Muditā - Matchstick Quilting & Oil Stain

Muditā – Matchstick Quilting & Oil Stain

After stabilizing the quilt (and removing a lot of the basting pins!), I started matchstick quilting using the stripe print as a guide. It did mean a lot of threads to bury, but by doing 30 minutes to an hour of quilting each day, it actually came together quicker than I thought it might.

You might also notice in the photograph above a discolored area in the Phosphor Electric print right in the middle of the photograph. An oil drip from my machine landed on the fabric, and in my attempts to clean the stain, I discolored the print. I decided to keep quilting and think about what the quilt might be telling me it wants me to do.

Muditā - Free Motion Quilting

Muditā – Free Motion Quilting

After finishing the matchstick quilting, I switched to my free motion quilting foot and did a little bit of quilting on the Tula Pink Minerals Print, again using the print as a guide for the quilting.

Muditā - View of Quilting on Quilt Backing

Muditā – View of Quilting on Quilt Backing

The quilting is complete, but my work on the quilt is not. I am going to take my time squaring up the quilt and trimming it to its final shape. And I will be pondering what to do about the spot on the quilt top; I suspect a little bit of appliqué might be in my future this week.

10 thoughts on “Muditā {Quilting}

1. Julie says:

It is so frustrating when you get a smudge on your quilt! I use a dry iron but stuff collects in the holes on the sole plate & sometimes slough off on a quilt. Generally on a white piece of fabric, of course.

how cool that you could use the lines on the fabric for your quilting!

3. The quilting is fabulous. So sorry about the mishap. I am sure you will come up with a solution that will make it just right. It is a beauty.

4. Funny about the close placement of the pins; it sure wasn’t going anywhere with all of them! I’m sure you’ll come up with something just right to cover that little smudge.

It’s such a bright and fun mini. That had to be heart sinking to find the drop of oil. Looking forward to seeing how you deal with that challenge.

Bummer about the oil drip! Then again, if the quilt is telling you something…. Lovely quilting, and more to discover as you continue to work on this piece.

7. Eva says:

Love how relaxed you go on and take the oil drop what it is, no catastrophe…
    Your quilting is amazing!!! Love this wonderfull work.

8. quiltinglearningcombo says:

Hi Yvonne, what a great quilt! I love your FMQ – following the fabric is my favourite kind. Hope you’ll link up to Free Motion Mavericks. Can you really see the discoloration after quilting? Good luck.

I sometimes get carried away with pins, too. And then when the box is empty, I have to redistribute. I’m enjoying your process and progress on your quilt — such an interesting interplay between the stripes and the circles. I love your playfulness on this project!

10. Sorry about the oil!!! but wow!! this quilt is coming together . I love the quilting that you are doing on it!!!! and of course – those crazy colors – LOVE them!!!