Mudita - Fabric Pull
Quilts

Muditā {Q2 Just For Fun Project}

During my daily meditation (I use the Calm app) a few weeks ago, I was introduced to Muditā.

Muditā is a dharmic concept of joy, particularly an especially sympathetic or vicarious joy – the pleasure that comes from delighting in other people’s well-being. [Source: Wikipedia]

The concept really resonated with me, and long after the meditation I kept coming back to the idea and an idea for a quilt began to form alongside my reflection.

Mudita - Fabric Pull

Muditā – Fabric Pull

I have begun to more joyfully embrace pink after seeing and experiencing the color differently through my nieces. So I knew that pinks / purples were going to feature more prominently in this quilt. I also really wanted to use a directional, bold print for the background, and Geometry – One Eighty – Pink was the perfect combination of both of these needs (hooray for getting a yard of it in late February). Using it as the basis, I then pulled a few other fabrics from the colors in the stripes of the print.

Mudita - Pinning First Inset Circle

Muditā – Pinning First Inset Circle

The image that pops into my head every time I read the definition or more about Muditā are concentric ripples in water when something disturbs the surface. So this quilt top is going to be all about inset circles.

Mudita - First Inset Circle

Muditā – First Inset Circle

You may notice that the Tula Pink True Colors Mineral in Amythest I used for the first inset circle was not in my original fabric pull. The time between when I took the photograph of the fabric pull to the time I photographed first inset circle, fully pieced and pressed, was less than 30 minutes apart. Clearly, this quilt top is going to be a lesson in listening to the quilt. So, how many circles will I add? How large will it be? I’m ready to keep cutting and sewing to find out!

10 thoughts on “Muditā {Q2 Just For Fun Project}

Muditā . Love this concept and looking forward to see the fun quilt that you create with these colors.

2. Julie says:

I’m so glad you provided the definition for Mudita, beautiful concept Around here the time between snow melt & green grass is often called mud season so I was imagining the term as a diminutive for mud. As in “your dogs come in from outside with mudita paws.” Although the actual meaning probably fits how the dogs I’ve known feel about mud.

3. What playful colors – I will enjoy watching this progress!

4. What a fun quilt this is going to be. Love the idea of Mudita – a new concept to me also. Have fun, although I can already tell you are.

5. Bernie says:

So pretty and a fun representation of what Mudita means to you – this will be a springtime, cheerful quilt!

6. Cheryl B Smith says:

I’m looking forward to the progress of this quilt. I know it sounds crazy to “listen to the quilt”, but that’s what I do when choosing fabrics and especially a quilting design. My FMQ leaves a lot to be desired, so I mostly quilt with my walking foot. That hasn’t stopped me from using more curvy designs, even if I have to turn the quilt a thousand times. Because ultimately, that’s what the quilt is asking for, and I’ll be happier if I just listen. Thanks for sharing your designs, inspiration and beautiful quilts.

I love when a project tells you what it needs as you go. Enjoy the process!

This is going to be fun to see come together. Hope the process brings you lots of joy, the colors are certainly joyful.

I like to read all the comments from your earlier responders, and there are a lot of thoughtful responses. I like the amethyst fabric a lot — good for you for making the switch. But then I’m quite enthralled with that light purple color against warm brights, as I like the contrast in both hue and value. And thanks for introducing me to a new idea.

10. Would that we all practised more muditā! Your quilt is going to be so bright and yes, joyful!