Birthday Mug Rug
2024 Finished Quilts

Birthday Gift Mug Rug

I gifted my first Wonder quilt to a friend a few years ago, so this year for her birthday I made her a mug rug to match the quilt.

Birthday Mug Rug

Birthday Mug Rug

I even added a bit of stitching around the edge of the note card I used to write out the happy birthday note.

Birthday Mug Rug - Backing

Birthday Mug Rug – Backing

I looked back at my Mini Mini Quilt Binding tutorial for a refresher on the single fold machine binding, and I’m pretty happy with how it looks on the back of the mini quilt (above).

Birthday Mug Rug

Birthday Mug Rug

The quilting motif is a dot to dot pattern I learned from Angela Walters called Square Spiral. It takes a little bit of prep work to be able to do on my domestic machine without a ruler, but once all marked out, it quilted up quickly.

The birthday mug rug finished at 4½” square.

12 thoughts on “Birthday Gift Mug Rug

1. Very nice. Happy birthday to your friend!

(I always forget to log out of guild email!)

2. What a cute quick project, so thoughtful to match her quilt.

3. Eva says:

Lovely little project! This is a good idea to give this a try. You did a perfect present. If I do, may be my „test“ could be used as well. Thank you for sharing this little project. Love it how you did it
    I looked often at her tipps, but never tried.

4. Bernie says:

The perfect surprise to tuck into a birthday card. How thoughtful!!

Fun to make your friend something that coordinates with her quilt!

6. I am wondering what is on the other side. Your work is the so neat, the best example of workmanship, even in the smallest of pieces!

7. That is an adorable mug rug and the notecard with the stitching is such a nice touch!

A very fun birthday gift.

9. That looks so great!! I love that graphic quilting ( or geometrical?) its super cool!

Since I have no idea when your birthday is, Happy Birthday to your friend and Happy Birthday to you, too! I like that spiral/square quilting, as it brings an interesting design to a plainer square. Lovely!