Garden Peony
2024 Finished Quilts

Garden Peony {Finished Quilt}

Thankfully the wind was low enough yesterday evening after I finished the hand binding on my new Garden Peony quilt that my husband could hold it up outside for a few quick photographs.

Garden Peony

Garden Peony

I love a good stripe binding, and the Ruby Star Society Melody Miller Rise and Shine! Heat Shimmer in June has a really subtle change in the stripe widths and orientations that I think adds up to a fun binding finish. The quilt top finished at 39½” square after quilting, squaring up, and binding.

Garden Peony - Quilt Finish Detail

Garden Peony – Quilt Finish Detail

I’m really happy with the points at the edge of the quilt. I’m now preferring to use 2¼” wide double fold binding (sewn to the quilt top with a true ¼” seam allowance), and it’s satisfying to see that after years and lots of practice with other quilts that more often than not I can keep the points when I add the binding to a quilt. I’m still not 100% perfect, but who is?

Garden Peony - Backing

Garden Peony – Backing

I used more Kona Enchanted for the quilt backing. The width of fabric was large enough that I used a single width of fabric cut!

Garden Peony

Garden Peony

I used 50wt Aurifil 4093 (Jade) for the piecing, 2210 (Caramel) for quilting, and 2435 (Peachy Pink) to hand stitch the binding.

Garden Peony - Quilt Finish Detail

Garden Peony – Quilt Finish Detail

Thank you for following along with me this week; I really enjoyed making another version of Garden Peony in bright, spring colors. We are slowly warming up here (our last freeze day is historically after Mother’s Day), so these dashes of color were just what I needed.

For a recap on my Garden Peony quilt making progress this week (including a new convex curve cutting tip), you can check out my earlier blog posts:

Linking up with Needle & Thread Thursday, TGIFF, Finished or Not Friday, and Favorite Finish.

13 thoughts on “Garden Peony {Finished Quilt}

1. Stitchin at Home says:

Garden Peony is a pretty quilt! I love the quilting texture!

2. Julie says:

Beautiful! I’ve always thought that flower quilting motif looks like a peony, what a nice choice for your quilt. It’s fun to compare this version to the one on your pattern. I do get excited when I can finish a quilt without piecing a back LOL.

3. Fabulous finish at warp speed! I love the pink striped binding; it is perfect with this quilt.

The quilt is gorgeous! And you hit on one of my favorite things about making baby quilts – backings are easy since they fit in a width of fabric!

5. What a satisfying way to wrap up the week! Such a pretty, springtime quilt, and I love the texture from the quilting. Yay for husbands who are willing to hold quilts!

6. Kaja says:

This is really lovely! I like the colours, especially the teal and orange, and the way you have paired those strong shades with the paler pink and yellow. It has a great mid-century vibe.

This turned out beautifully! Your quilting is delightful for this version and I agree, the binding is a great choice!

8. Joan says:

That’s it! I’m going to do circles! Rounded edges have scared the bee-gees out of me and NO MORE! HA HA! This pattern is so adorable! Thanks

That stripey binding really makes the quilt pop. I, too, use a 2 1/4″ double binding, as I think it works best for me and my habits. Glad to see I’m in sync with you. Great job!

Very pretty! The stripped binding makes a great frame for the rest of the quilt.

11. Tasha says:

This quilt is absolutely beautiful. I love colors and prints you used (makes me want to start dabbling in prints). I also love your decisions on the binding and quilting. Definitely quilt goals!

12. Chrisknits says:

Sp satisfying when the points aren’t lost! Now cute my edges a bit into the batting and use a 2.25″ binding to finish my quilts. I hate loose binding and find my method suits me.

13. Lovely!!! i see it on IG and forget to come here to tell you how much I love it! and the Striped binding is just perfect to finish it off!!! Keep your wind please haha!