Time Expands
2024 Finished Quilts

Time Expands {Project Quilting 15.4}

I don’t remember when or where I picked up this mantra, but when things get busy, I repeat to myself, “Time expands when needed.” I was really inspired by the Project Quilting 15.4 prompt (hourglass) and my solid scraps, and I managed to piece, quilt, and bind a 35″ x 45″ quilt in under 48 hours. I’ll be heading to Raleigh, North Carolina, for QuiltCon tomorrow, so I knew I needed to get whatever I was making completed, posted, and linked up by today. I was thinking “time expands when needed,” a lot over the past 48 hours, and as that ties in well with the hourglass theme, a quilt name was born.

That’s a long winded introduction which can be simplified to say… I’m really happy to share my fully finished Time Expands quilt made in response to the Project 15.4 prompt with you today!

At 4:30pm on Monday afternoon, I had just finished piecing the quilt top, and I knew I needed to make some quick decisions for the backing fabric and a quilting plan. I did stop piecing hourglass blocks to keep the quilt top at a size that would fit on a single width of fabric (35 1/2″ x 45 1/2″ unfinished), and I pulled out some Kona Bright Pink (of which I have LOTS of yardage) for the backing. I opted to free motion quilt an all over stipple using 50wt Aurifil 2600 (Dove – a light gray that I also used for piecing the quilt top), which I figured would be the quickest option. By dinner time, I had about a quarter of the quilting complete and I was hopeful I could get the quilting finished on Monday night.

Hand Binding

Hand Binding

Not only did I get the quilting completed on Monday evening, but I even attached the binding to the front of the quilt AND hand stitched about half of the binding down on the back side of the quilt. I stopped working on the quilt sometime between 9 and 9:30pm, and I went to bed confident I was going to get the quilt finished on Tuesday, barring any kind of unexpected emergency.

Time Expands

Time Expands

By 10am on Tuesday, the binding was completely finished and I was starting to wonder how I was going to get any finished photographs of the quilt. It’s dark and rainy here today. So dark that my backup plan of photographing the quilt in my studio wasn’t even looking like a very viable option. Thankfully there was a small break in the rain AND wind, and we were able to sneak outside for a few photographs. Thanks as always to my very patient husband, who is tucked behind the quilt in all these photos.

Time Expands

Time Expands

The clouds sure do make for a moody backdrop, don’t they? And when I say we lucked out on this weather window, I really mean it. There was so little wind even the windmills weren’t turning; that’s super rare for our area!

Time Expands - Backing

Time Expands – Backing

I chose to use almost all of the last of a rainbow stripe print I’ve loved for years by Kristy of Quiet Play for the binding. It looks great against the quilt backing and is a “more is more” kind of frame for the bright and scrappy quilt top.

Time Expands

Time Expands

I find these Project Quilting prompts to be a lot of creative fun. I honestly was thinking I was going to make something small for this prompt, given my time constraints this week, but my scrap bins asked for more, and I’m so glad I listened. I love how well the scraps  worked together. Sure, if I’d had more time or been willing to dip into my stash I could have made the color flow work more smoothly. But I’m super happy with what I was able to get done working with my time and scrap fabric constraints.

Time Expands

Time Expands

Now it’s time to turn my attention to some last minute travel preparations. Thanks so much to Kim and Trish for hosting Project Quilting. I keep saying it: the prompts this year just keep getting better! You still have WAY more time to join in than I spent working on my entry for the week, so hop over and check out all the details or just visit and enjoy the other linked projects for the week: Project Quilting 15.4 – Hourglass.

Linking up with Favorite Finish – February 2024.

18 thoughts on “Time Expands {Project Quilting 15.4}

1. Julie says:

What a fantastic project! Congratulations on proving time is relative, LOL. Have a wonderful time at QuiltCom.

2. Annie says:

This is so bright and beautiful, and the binding is perfect! I so enjoy seeing your quilts, Yvonne. One of these days, I am going to step away from the traditional if only for a moment, take a walk on the wild side, and try a modern pattern in bright solids!

3. rmgsummers413a14ca5a says:

Beautiful finish. I love the binding which truly compliments the top. Great photos too. I love that this all came from your scraps.

Yay for listening to your scraps!! I can just feel the fun, and love how the experience informed the name. Good joy! 😉

5. Danice G says:

What a gorgeous quilt, and you completed it so quickly! Perfect photography also. Is this a paid-for pattern, or one that is free?

This is a new favorite quilt, especially with those “coping” strips alongside random blocks. Congratulations on a great finish, all in the nick of time. Am borrowing that phrase — such wisdom. Have fun at QuiltCon!

7. Kathy R. says:

I can’t say it any better than the previous comments, the quilt looks great. It deserves a WOW!

8. Wonderful quick finish. I wish you could stop over in Western NC for a visit, you’ll be about 5 hours away in Raleigh. Have a safe trip!

9. So glad you were able to get it done and even photographed outside. I love that binding with it. Fabulous job! Enjoy Quilt Con!

10. Nettie Sews says:

This is quite inspiring, to say the least! Very nicely done!

11. Wow it’s crazy what one can accomplish under pressure (raising my hand). This Postcard from Sweden-esque quilt turned out beautifully and I just love that bright pink backing oh and the binding. Never can have enough of stripes and rainbow (be still my heart) bindings!

12. Kim Lapacek says:

you amaze me! this turned out so good!!!

13. Melanie says:

Love your quilt! So colorful and fun. And the strips add a fun improv element. Just curious – was it choice or dictated by the scrap size? Enjoy QuiltCon xo

14. Sally says:

AND hand-stitched the binding. Color me fully impressed. It’s a beautiful piece, too.

15. Judy B says:

As always, I’m Impressed ! Love the video! But it made me a bit tired! Enjoy QuiltCon! It must be awesome to attend!

16. J Mur says:

What a great challenge entry and congrats on your QuiltCon win!!!

Gorgeous finish. The contrast with the gloomy day and the bright quilt makes for some wonderful photos. It’s not so much time expanding as you decide what you are going to forgo in order to get the finish or maybe it’s you just get better at using the time you have. Congrats on the finish!

18. Who knew you had a fun side? I associate your quilts with controlled palette and straight line quilting. So this one is a true delight – lots of color, a touch of improv and a lazy meander quilting. Even a colorful binding!!! Who are you and what have you done with Yvonne 😀