In January 2022, I spent several days doodling up a lot of different quilt designs. I did not love all of them, but I knew I wanted to make several of them. It’s time to turn one of those ideas into reality: Frost Filigree.
Above is my original design. I love the red and white colorway, but while I could come up with 6 reds in my graphics program, those 6 colors don’t necessarily line up with real and available fabric. So, my goal this past weekend was to see if I could come up with 6 reds out of my Kona Cotton stash.
I quickly learned there are not a huge number of red fabrics to work with, and I noticed in my first attempt at curating 6 different reds that most of what is available are mid-tone reds.
My next attempt seemed better, but I still wasn’t thrilled. I was happy with the darkest 3 fabrics, and at this point I realized the challenge was going to be selecting the lighter 3 fabrics.
My third attempt was better, but Lipstick and Tomato are quite close in value, which really bothered me. At this point, I photographed a few more bundles but I was starting to get pretty confused, so I stepped away and decided to sleep on it and try again another day.
The next day, I went back to the 3rd fabric pull and removed Lipstick. After auditioning every other red Kona Cotton fabric with the darker 5 fabrics, it became obvious that the best choice was going to be to continue to progress into orange. So I methodically tried out different oranges next to Chili and Carrot was the clear winner.
Here is a zoomed in photo of my selected Kona Cotton fabrics. Darkest to lightest, they are:
And after the fact (late on Sunday evening after the sun has gone down), I did a quick check of the values of my fabric pull by converting the photo to grayscale, and I am definitely happy with how even the steps are between the fabrics.
The last check was for me to use the fabric pull to update what I expect Frost Filigree to look like with my selected fabrics. While it’s a bit different than my original mockup, I do still like it. I suppose the next thing I need to do is to check my large yardage for a white or near white fabric and start cutting fabric!
I definitely felt like I could have made a successful red palette with only 5 fabrics, but needing 6 made this selection process a lot harder than I anticipated. I think trying to select 6 yellows would prove to be just as tricky.