I feel like the Project Quilting Season 15 prompts keep getting better each week! The theme this week is Inside Out:
Some part of your project must thematically or literally be inside out.
I have honestly been thinking about a project that exposes the seams for years (apparently since February 2015 when I fell in love with the backside of the seams when I made a mini quilt for a friend. Read more about it here: Life: Ups and Downs). I also really loved the fox print in the Meander bundle that I used to make the Postage Stamp version of Diatom last year, and I thought I could use those last little bits of the fox prints (and their supporting prints from the line) for this project.
Before committing to cutting into the last of the fox print scraps, I finger pressed some prints to test out my idea for fabric placement.
After getting more excited about the idea from the quick finger pressed seams, I made a test block. And promptly had to rip the first two seams that I sewed. But I eventually had a test block to use to map out where I was headed.
To frame the Meander print squares, I chose to use the last of the sparkly Carloyn Friedlander print that I just used for the Offset Log Cabin blocks. At this point, I clearly knew this was a quilt I was making to keep for myself, and I love that sparkle, so it was a quick and easy choice! Because of the limited amount of each fox print that I had left, I was able to fussy cut one fox from each of the six prints. To make a nice wall hanging mini quilt, I added in 3 additional print squares to balance them out.
I had been so focused on what the seam side of the quilt top looked like, I almost failed to turn the quilt top over and take a look at the “back”. I find that view to be pretty interesting. I probably would not have needed to rip as many seams if I had just constructed it like normal but with most of the prints wrong side up. Oh well, I got there!
I used 50wt Aurifil 2600 (Dove) for the piecing and quilting. For the quilting, I used my walking foot on my Juki TL-2200QVP Mini and sewed down the middle of a few seams to make a quick crosshatch. I thought about quilting all of the seams down, but after doing this initial crosshatch quilting, I liked the way it secured everything and how the other seams had a bit of a three-dimensional effect.
For the binding, I considered using the wrong side of a print, but nothing I auditioned in my stash seemed quite right. Instead, I opted to machine stitch the binding to the BACK of the quilt and then hand stitch it down to the front.
I worked on this mini quilt slowly starting on Sunday 2/4 and I finished it on Thursday 2/8. My Inside Out mini quilt finished at 16″ square after quilting and binding, and I love how perfectly it fits on my wall in my studio.