Scala - Fabric Prep
Quilts

Scala {Pieced Quilt Top}

After receiving the fabric order for Scala, I was eager to cut the fabric and get started.

Scala - Fabric Prep

Scala – Fabric Prep

Since cutting the fabric is my least favorite step in the quilt making process, I was excited to get it complete. I had the best intentions to take more photos of my progress in making the Scala quilt, but the honest truth of it was that I was having so much fun with the piecing that I got the entire quilt top pieced before I even thought about picking up my camera again.

Scala - Pieced Quilt Top

Scala – Pieced Quilt Top

The Scala quilt top turned out just the way I had hoped!

Scala - Bonus HSTs for Pieced Backing

Scala – Bonus HSTs for Pieced Backing

As part of the piecing process, there were some Bonus HSTs remaining, and I have a plan for turning them into a pieced backing for the quilt. What I was not counting on last week was coming down with the flu. Thankfully I was able to get the quilt top pieced before getting sick, so now that I’m feeling better, I hope to get the backing pieced and the quilt basted and ready for quilting this week.

Black Batting

Black Batting

Speaking of basting and quilting, I will be using a black batting for the first time with the Scala quilt. I’m not sure why I haven’t used a black batting before, but it makes a LOT of sense for me to use black batting on this quilt. I usually use Quilter’s Dream Dream Green batting, so I am looking forward to trying something new by using their black poly batting.

11 thoughts on “Scala {Pieced Quilt Top}

1. Cindy Pieters says:

Sorry to hear you had the flu, it seems to be going around on both sides of the border. Love the quilt top! I have used black batting and think on a mostly black top it’s a great choice.

Black batting is the perfect choice. Great quilt top!

3. Julie says:

Beautiful design – we can all use some green in the middle of winter. You’ll like the black batting, I’ve used it in dark quilts & that brand is a personal favorite. While I prefer natural fibers, the Dream Green speaks to me. There’s has to be a market for recycled products or they just add to the mountain of garbage.

The flu?!? Yikes, but that deck you are being hit with keeps getting larger. That aside, what a terrific quilt! I liked seeing all the run-up to the quilt, but seeing it all pieced is really a treat. Love this design. There are many times in earlier days I wish I’d had black batting, because the bearding was such a problem. Nice to have this resource. Looking forward to seeing your quilting on this.

5. Bernie says:

This looks wonderful Yvonne. I think the biggest challenge would be quilting on the black background. So hard to see black stitching on black fabric. I look forward to the finish!

So sorry you had the flu, that’s never fun. Scala looks great, love the colors. I’ve never tried black batting or any of the Quilter’s Dream products. Hope you are feeling much better and ready for the quilting part.

So glad you are feeling better! And yay for getting that quilt top pieced quickly. I’m anxious to hear about the black batt.

8. Lois says:

I’m interested in hearing about your experience with the black batting. When I attempted to use it with a quilt with a dark background it made the contrast piecing look dingy, so I didn’t use it.

9. Lovely quilt and I like the black. I’ve used that black QD batting before and I liked the way it performed.

10. JanineMarie says:

I’m glad you are feeling better so quickly. Those greens are luscious. I can’t wait to see how you design the back and your quilting plan.

11. Susan says:

Ooh………that’s stunning. Have fun quilting with the black batting.