Life

Best of 2023

Each year since 2015, Cheryl from Meadow Mist Designs has encouraged us to look back on our year and share some of our best posts. Her Best of 2023 link party is open, and there are no rules on how you define and share your best posts.

Favorite Tutorial – Bonus HSTs from Stitch and Flip

I really love when I’m working on a new quilt or quilt pattern and learn something new, and it’s even more fun when I can share what I learn with everyone! As I was developing my quilt along pattern for this year, Star Pulse, I went looking for something that I assumed existed. When I couldn’t find it, I created the resource I was looking for.

Other tutorial highlights from this year include:

Favorite Pattern Release – Signal Trace

Related to the Bonus HSTs from Stitch and Flip tutorial, I made several test blocks to work through what I needed to learn. Then, I used those blocks to make my Q3 Just for Fun quilt. So many of you were interested in the design that I also released the Signal Trace quilt pattern. It’s fun when one good thing cascades into the next!

Cloudy Night Sky

Cloudy Night Sky

Favorite Quilt Finish – Cloudy Night Sky

I designed Cloudy Night Sky in July 2022 (quilting plan and all), and I’ve been excited to turn that idea into reality since then. Thankfully, I had time this year to make the quilt. I was even able to get it done before the QuiltCon submissions deadline closed AND I am so happy to say it was accepted into QuiltCon. I look forward to getting to see it in the show in February; I plan to be there on Friday and Saturday.

Not a Square

Not a Square

Favorite Personal Project – Project Quilting 14.5 {Not a Square}

I don’t know why it took me until season 14 of Project Quilting to join in on one of the challenges, but I got bitten by the bug this year and completed all 6 challenges. I especially love my finish for the 5th challenge, Not a Square. It now hangs on my bedroom wall and my husband comments about how much he likes the quilt at least once a week. 🙂

Favorite Collaboration – Curated Pattern Bundles

My close friend Cheryl Brickey and I usually chat via Marco Polo several times a day. We have batted around ideas for collaboration from time to time, and this year, we were able to bring one of our ideas to life: Curated Pattern Bundles. I really appreciate working with Cheryl, and we often joke that we share a brain.

I look forward to seeing the highlights of everyone else’s year through the Best of 2023 link party!

13 thoughts on “Best of 2023

1. Patty says:

I really enjoy that Not A Square quilt too. Happy New Year!

2. Cocoa Quilts says:

I think my favorite is the Not a Square. It looks so warm and bright against the snow. Looking forward to your 2024 work.

Congrats on having Cloudy Night Sky accepted at Quilt Con! Signal Trace is my favorite for the year, I just like those deep blues with that bright green. I’ve used your tip on how to make flying geese a lot this year. It came in very handy when making the pieces for Cheryl’s mystery this year. Wishing you an equally successful 2024.

4. Your Not a Square quilt is definitely a favorite of mine, I love the colors and the design. Fun to see this post and read about your year!

5. Liz W says:

I love all of these quilts, I don’t even know which one is my favorite, they are all special in their own ways. I always feel good looking at your projects, the colors are perfect every time and the designs interesting. You are so talented!

I love overview posts, and you’ve slipped a few new ideas and goals into this one as well. I enjoyed seeing the range of your creativity in this post, and the variety of all that you can do. Here’s to another fruitful year!

7. Shannon says:

So many fun projects, Yvonne, but I’m a little partial to the Bountiful Bundle 😉

8. Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting says:

Fun review, Yvonne!!! I enjoyed catching up with a couple I missed and revisiting others! I especially like the color movements in Not a Square.

Enjoyed your review. I’m especially happy that Cloudy Night Sky will be shown at QuiltCon so folks can enjoy it in person, and also that time for ‘just for fun’ quilting has been a priority. Happy New Year to you and your husband!

10. Thats a great list of Greats!!! what fun !!

11. Love your favorites of 2023. I have to say I think Signal Trace is my favorite…maybe its the colors but I think it is the movement in it. Of course, you know I love your tutorials and am always happy to see the in the linky party!

12. Cheryl Brickey says:

What a great year filled with fabulous finishes, I look forward to seeing Cloudy Night Sky in person. Thanks for linking up with the Best of 2023 Linky Party!

13. Mari says:

What a great and diverse year! I always appreciate the tutorials (even if I don’t use them immediately) and I love Cloudy Night Sky. I’m really looking forward to seeing it at QuiltCon! Best wishes for another great stitching year in 2024!