2023 Finished Quilts

Stair Skirt {Finished Quilt}

I am so, so happy with my finished stair skirt! In my excitement to complete it last week, I took exactly zero progress photos. Oops!

Stair Skirt

Stair Skirt

I really wanted to bind the stair skirt with bias binding, and even with bias binding, the inner small circle was a bit of a challenge to sew by machine to the front of the quilt. Given that I have pretty much used up all of my red prints now, I used a Michael Miller Cotton Couture solid in a lovely bright red for the binding.

Stair Skirt

Stair Skirt

Honestly, it could very well be used with the backing right side up. The scrappy low volume prints I used for the backing do all lean a bit green and cream, and that bright red binding really makes me happy! Because I color matched my quilting thread to the different sections of the quilt top and used matching thread in my bobbin, the quilting also shows up the best on the quilt backing.

Stair Skirt - Quilting Detail

Stair Skirt – Quilting Detail

I started the quilting by using 50wt Aurifil 2311 (muslin) with my walking foot to stitch in the ditch between the green and cream and cream and red piecing of the quilt top. Then I switched over to my free motion quilting foot and quilted a meander. Next, I switched to 50wt Aurifil 2460 (dark carmine red) and quilted large pebbles. Finally, I switched to 50wt Aurifil 2870 (green) and quilted a meandering loop, which I thought was a fitting combination of the pebbles and meander. Because the binding was a brighter red than the prints in the quilt top, I used 50wt Aurifil 2250 (red) to stitch the binding.

As I mentioned earlier, I cut the binding strips on the bias to create a double fold bias binding. I took it verrrrrrry slow as I worked to stitch the binding to the quilt top around the inner circle; one or two stitches at a time. The extra stretch and give that a bias binding allows made folding the binding over to the back for hand sewing easy.

Stair Skirt

Stair Skirt

My apologies for not taking better photos to show the process of how I trimmed and fit checked the stair skirt prior to adding the binding. When I basted the quilt top, I added a piece of scrap muslin in the center and marked the center point. After quilting, I used my OLFA CMP-3 Rotary Circle Cutter to cut a 4½” diameter (2¼” radius) circle out of the center, using that marked center point as the reference for the rotary circle cutter. After cutting the center out, I test fit the stair skirt to make sure that was a generous enough size to fit around the center column of my spiral staircase. Once confirmed, I went back to my cutting mat, and with the trimmed center circle put back in place, I measured the outer trim line. I knew that I wanted the outer trim line to be 21″ away from the inner circle, so I tied a piece of thread to a thin line sharpie, measured out the distance from the center, and by pinning the thread in the center, I effectively made my own large compass to mark the outer trim line. Every so often I would pause, and remeasure from the center to make sure I hadn’t wandered off course. Then, I simply used my large fabric scissors to cut on the marked line.

Stair Skirt

Stair Skirt

I love how the stair skirt adds a festive flair to our apartment, and I look forward to enjoying it in the years to come!

Linking up with TGIFF, and Beauties Pageant.

21 thoughts on “Stair Skirt {Finished Quilt}

1. Cindy Pieters says:

I really like how this turned out! I’m not sure if I like the front or back better, they both look awesome.

Very festive! Sounds like parts of the process were definitely a challenge, but it turned out beautifully. The quilting looks great and the bright red binding is the perfect finish. Hard to believe Christmas is just a week away! I’m definitely not ready.

3. This looks wonderful! Happy holidays to you!

4. Joanne H says:

What a fun project and it’s a “happy accident” that this can be used on both sides. 🙂

5. Debbie Best says:

Absolutely gorgeous!

6. Vicki in MN says:

You are just so creative!! Congrats on a great finish. Happy Holidays!

7. The skirt really fits that space well and definitely adds a festive touch! Those spur of the moment projects are grand fun, I think!

8. What a fun project and a fabulous look! I love that you made a stair skirt – so much fun and the presents look lovely there. Bias binding helps but small curves are truly annoying. Congrats on a fun and very useful project.

9. Annie says:

I LOVE this! Hope you guys have a very Merry Christmas

Such a fun idea and it turned out beautifully!

11. Eva says:

Never heart about a stair skirt only see tree skirts under the christmas trees. But this is fantastic. Under a tree it is not nice to me to lay a handmade quilted thing, but at this stairs, wow.. bam.. super! For sure you will love it for many years! Your mathematical skills helped you much, I guess. Have a not to stressfull this week and a very nice Christmas day. Know it is more the morning of the 25.th right? Thanks for sharing this project!

12. REBECCA CHIANESE says:

Love it! How creative!!!

13. That was such a great idea – and it looks amazing!!!

14. Cheryl Brickey says:

This is adorable and the perfect amount of festive cheer!

15. It turned out so well, Yvonne! You’re right about it being reversible, and the red binding is the perfect finish for both sides.

16. I love your skirt. It’s a clever way to wrap it at the end of your curved staircase. I just watched a clip somewhere of Designing Women where the nutty character wears her Christmas skirt thinking it’s for fashion. Cracked me up! Now when I see a Christmas tree skirt, all I can think of is how cute it would look if worn!! Enjoy your festivities and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

17. Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting says:

What a very unique idea!!! Love it!!! I love the randomness of the strips, too, Yvonne!!!

18. Sandra Walker says:

Such a fun piece! It’s so good to see you playing this year. I like the FMQ side best and love the photo from above with the fairy lights on.

19. Anja @ Anja Quilts says:

This is a great idea. And it looks amazing. Happy New Year.

20. debspups says:

I saw the posting where you were designing the stair skirt — and just realized you FINISHED it! How wonderful it looks! As I typed in the last posting — have you given any thought to keeping the light wound around the center support to aid you in going up and down the stairs? This occurs to me as I’m in the fast track to 70, so everything around here is done with an eye to safety and making it easier in the future years. You are a young woman, so that’s not your focus…..and you’d have to make another stair skirt for everyday use….. Anyhow — it’s wonderful! Thanks for sharing a terrific idea! Deb