Irish Autumn
2023 Finished Quilts

Irish Autumn {Q4 Just for Fun, Finished Quilt}

After sharing progress on my Q4 Just for Fun quilt last week, I was excited to keep the momentum going.

All Blocks Pieced

All Blocks Pieced

In fact, I was so excited that in only one more evening of sewing, I was able to get all the blocks pieced…

Pieced Quilt Top

Pieced Quilt Top

… and I even got the entire quilt top sewn together! The pieced quilt top measured 35″ inches square (unfinished).

Quilting Complete

Quilting Complete

Because I could use a single width of fabric for the backing (how nice is that?!?!?), I basted and got about half of the quilting complete one day. Then I was able to finish the quilting the next day.

Quilting Detail

Quilting Detail

For the quilting, I free motion quilted a boxy meander using 50wt Aurifil 2311 (Muslin). I had this quilting plan in mind from early on in this project, and I was really happy with how quickly it came together, especially given how long it took me to quilt my last quilt (Cloudy Night Sky). Hooray for something fast and fun!

Ireland Autumn

Irish Autumn

I decided to name this quilt Irish Autumn as a nod to the Irish Chain blocks I used to make it and the beautiful fall color fabric palette. And you may notice in the finished photo above, that I did not have quite enough of the stripe fabric to bind the quilt. The fat quarter was ripped, and so while it was a pretty true 18″ wide, the ripping skewed the fabric at either side of the fat quarter enough that I needed to trim a bit from each side, leaving me only able to cut (6) 2¼” x 21″ strips from the fat quarter.

Binding Options

Binding Options

Given I only had the (6) binding strips from the stripe fabric, I decided to use 1½ strips on each corner of the quilt and then fill in the center of each side with another fabric. I mocked up an option using gold and red, and I felt like the red center for the binding was the best choice.

Irish Autumn - Quilt Backing

Irish Autumn – Quilt Backing

I’ll have a photo tutorial post ready on Friday to show how I planned out this more scrappy binding approach for the quilt. One thing I want to point out is that the red pieces seem more centered on the back of the quilt than they do on the front of the quilt. The 45-degree mitered seams I use to join the binding strips shifted the positioning more than I was anticipating, but finished is better than perfect!

Irish Autumn

Irish Autumn

Many thanks, once again, to my patient quilt holding husband. I love the photo above that shows his shadowy profile. The quilt still measures 35″ square after quilting and binding, which makes this a smaller quilt to hide behind. I’ll save this quilt to have on hand to gift in the future, and once I’m ready to gift it, I will make sure to get it washed for the first time with a color catcher or two.

I am amazed at how long the fall color and leaves held on this year in our local area. Right up until Thanksgiving, there were still plenty of trees showing off their beautiful red, orange, and/or yellow hues.

13 thoughts on “Irish Autumn {Q4 Just for Fun, Finished Quilt}

1. Cindy Pieters says:

I like the red in the binding, it adds a nice design element. A quick and fun finish and a great quilt is a win win in my books.

2. Eileen Katherine Maher says:

It turned out great, love the colors and the strong grafic design!

3. Love the palette you choose for this quilt! And Kudos to your husband for the quilt holding.

It’s a really fun finish. The perfect way to end autumn and get ready for winter. I like the red inserts in the binding, it adds some character to the finish. Looking forward to seeing what you start on next.

5. Definitely a fun finish! I love the design and the colors you chose. Looking forward to the tutorial on Friday!

6. If you hadn’t pointed out the binding, I wouldn’t have noticed it. Lovely quilt with your coloration. It would make a fabulous table topper for next fall.

7. Bernie says:

Beautiful finish Yvonne! The name is so descriptive – well done!

oh this is a fun one. I love the name, how quickly it was able to come together, the wholecloth backing(!), and the binding treatment. Very nice!

9. Wow!! that came together so fast ! I love the design you went with – that radiating color is amazing!

10. Irish Fall is a beautiful quilt. It is so much fun when a quilt just compels us to get it done. The name is perfect as is your binding solution. I do hate when FQs are just short for one reason or another. When I first worked in the quilt store we always took the shortest edge off the yardstick on the left and then began measuring and added an inch or two for good measure. I was spoiled by those cuts!

What a wonderful finish…as well as a great homage to autumn. And yes, I love how long the season has lasted this year. For smaller quilts (and because of the influence of Gwen Marston), I’ve been going to single bindings at 1 1/2″ although you have cleverly done an artful workaround for your too-short yardage. All in all–a terrific quilt. Congratulations!

12. Nice finish! I’m wondering if you cut your binding strips 2.25” wide when you machine stitch down the binding on both sides (no hand sewing)?

13. Anja @ Anja Quilts says:

Great colour choices. I enjoy a boxy stipple, but often forget to use it. LOL