Last Friday, it didn’t take long for me to sew the final 3 seams to complete the Signal Trace quilt top:
I am so happy with how it came together!
Friday evening, I took the left over fabric from the quilt top, and started overlaying those fabrics on top of the quilt on my design wall. I also dug around in my blue fabric bins and came up with larger scraps that were left over from trimming backings to size and a few additional prints that were not used in the quilt top. Once I was reasonably sure that I could get a pieced backing that would be large enough for the quilt top, I was happy. So happy, that I proceeded to let the fabrics stay like that on my design wall as other things needed my attention during the weekend and beginning of the week.
After staring at the pieces on my design wall for a few days, I knew that I wanted the prints to be used more than the solids, so I shuffled things around a bit when it came time to piece them together. And because it had sat for a few days I jumped right in and basted the quilt and even started quilting it before I realized I hadn’t taken any progress photos last night. Oops.
So let me back up a bit: prior to basting the quilt, I left the quilt top on my design wall and used a Hera marker to mark diagonal crosshatch lines through the blocks. Then, I pin basted between all the marked lines. The theory is that I won’t have to remove any pins while I’m quilting. I’ve only quilted 4 lines so far, but so far, so good!