The biggest update in this post might be right here: this quilt has a name! After a lot of fun discussion, several people suggested it reminded them of something cosmic and a few others said printed circuit boards, so I’ve chosen to call my Q3 Just for Fun project the Signal Trace quilt.
Last week’s piecing progress left off after I decided to add some small stitch and flip lime triangles to the four center blocks. It took me a few seam ripper moments to get the sizing right for those corners. I knew I wanted them to finish at 1″ on the sides but kept failing to add in seam allowance. Oh well, I finally got there and finalized the size (1 1/2″ squares) and got the first block pieced.
Because I took the time last week to pre-cut all the fabric I needed for the next 3 blocks, block 2 came together really quickly.
Things slowed down when I got to blocks 3 & 4. I’m doing my best to embrace the scrappy nature of this quilt, but I couldn’t resist some methodical planning. In order to make sure I was happy with the way the quilt would come together, I took my time making sub-units and then laying out the rest of the fabric on my design wall for the last two blocks.
Progress is funny; last week I stopped before sewing together the first block. This week I have 4 blocks on my design wall waiting on me to sew 3 more seams. Then I can move on to puzzling together how to make a pieced backing with the fabric I have left from the quilt top!