I think I mentioned in my last post that I was going to take an online break until July 17th. Well, I was able to finish the Sunrise Sherbet quilt during my break, I have a lot to share in the next few weeks, AND I had enough time after getting home from our camping trip to get a blog post written for today. So, I’m happy to share the finished Sunrise Sherbet improv quilt with you today!
With a late night push to finish, I was able to get Sunrise Sherbet completed before my husband and I left for a camping vacation. It was lovely to be out in nature for a week. And given how windy (and dry) it is around me locally, I was pretty excited by the prospect of taking the quilt with me for some finish photography. This time around, I was the one holding the quilt and my husband took the photographs.
When it came time to select a binding for the quilt, my husband thought that the extra batting around the sides of the quilt (a light color) framed it nicely and suggested that I audition yellow. I had just enough of the middle yellow value (or perhaps a really similar fabric to the middle value; it might be a different manufacturer), and I really like how it framed this piece. Since the quilt is destined to be a wall hanging for us, having a lighter binding was not something that concerned me.
We traveled with the quilt and it got a bit wrinkled as time wore on, but somehow the wrinkles work with the angled lines of the skinny strip piecing. Or so I’m telling myself!
For the quilting, I used all 9 matching or near matching thread colors that I shared in my last post about Sunrise Sherbet, and I used the inserted yellow piecing as guidelines for straight line quilting. In some places, the quilting lines are as close as ⅛” apart, and in others they are as far apart as ⅜”. In order to avoid burying a lot of threads, I quilted to a change of fabric color and then simply quilted in the ditch to move down and start quilting the next line.
The quilt finished at 31½” wide by 38¼” tall and fills the wall space at the top of our stairs in just the way I had hoped. There isn’t a lot of natural light for us (my sewing studio has the only south facing exterior window in our upstairs area), so adding this touch of color and brightness here makes a big difference.
While we didn’t take any photos of the quilt at sunrise, we did manage to capture this photograph at sunset! Many thanks to my husband for his photography while we were traveling.