The first blocks came together quickly and smoothly: a large stack of quarter circle block and a much smaller stack of orange peel blocks. Lovely!
My next set of blocks were a bit more troublesome, though. Doesn’t the saying go, “Into every life a little unsewing must fall?”??
Here’s the thing: I knew better, but instead of stopping to think through what didn’t feel right, I decided to plow on through and cut all my pieces following my written pattern instructions. I’m usually so bad at following my own patterns that I was proud of myself for doing EXACTLY what the pattern said, even though I thought over and over while I was cutting, “this doesn’t seem right.” Oops!
I dutifully sewed the pieces together, even once I was fully aware that I had cut the outside curve to be too large. I thought to myself, perhaps I can just mist the fabric, get it to lay flat and trim it square. Well, there is no way that was going to trim up to 12 1/2″ square. The good news is that I only sewed one seam, knowing that something was incorrect. So, as my video above shows, I very carefully unsewed that seam and went back to my fabric to cut the correctly sized outer circles.
I will admit that before cutting ALL the pieces, I test sewed a seam to verify I had it correct the second time around. Cutting the pieces to the correct size makes all the difference!
I also corrected the pattern instructions and illustrations to show the correct way to cut these pieces so that others won’t be in the mess I was in!
I have half of the seams on a few final curve star blocks to sew, and then I’ll be ready to piece the queen size quilt top together. Fingers crossed it is smooth sewing from here!