I was ready on Sunday when the second Project Quilting prompt was published. The number one goal this week is that some shade of pink must dominate the project. Well, off to my pink print bin I went…
I picked out 9 prints from my bin that graduate from light to dark in value. Then I paired them with a FreeSpirit solid (Cosmo), a scrap of Tula Pink wide backing (which limited me on the maximum size I could make my project), and I even had a small amount of bias binding on hand. Okay, so what to make?
I wanted this to be something I could make on Sunday. Quick and easy. And I thought that this double four patch baby quilt that I sketched up would work. I had all my fabric prepped and cut by lunch. Then, while having our weekly zoom call with my in laws, I started sewing the blocks together. I got 6 of the 16 blocks pieced during our zoom chat.
And then the universe laughed. And laughed. We spent the next 4 hours troubleshooting an electrical issue in the hangar (for those new here, hi, I live in an apartment built into one end of a hangar!). After finally getting everything patched back together, it was late, but I pushed through and finished piecing the quilt top late on Sunday night.
On Monday afternoon, I basted, quilted, and late on Monday night, I put the final stitches by hand into the quilt to finish the binding. So, while I didn’t get it done in one day (that was a big, crazy goal anyway), I did make a sweet 32″ square baby quilt very quickly!
We got about 2″ of snow overnight, so this morning my husband gamely tried to hold up and hide behind this small quilt. The wind was a bit too much (and the quilt was a bit too small), but I love that he is willing to try to help with my quilty photoshoots.
In the end, a nice flat lay on the snow was the best choice. I am happy with how the color gradation worked out in the prints. There are a lot of mid tones, but I enjoyed working with what I had on hand and it still has the effect I was going for, even if it is a bit subtle and best seen when viewed from a distance.
For the quilting, I started by outlining each of the print squares with my walking foot using 50wt Aurifil 2588 (Light Magenta), which I color matched to the Cosmos background solid. After outlining the print squares, I switched to my free motion foot to quilt a stipple in the background. It went quickly, and the quilting is the most obvious when viewed on the back of the quilt.
Want to make your own Double Four Patch quilt? I did all the math for you and created a Double Four Patch digital quilt pattern that has easy to print individual pages for the quilt size you are interested in making and has all of the yardage and cutting information you need to make one of seven quilt sizes (mini, baby, small throw, large throw, twin, queen, and king). It’s the perfect way to use up scraps or precuts:
– mini charms (2½” squares)
– charms (Cut (4) 2½” squares from one 5” square)
– jelly rolls (for strip piecing)
– layer cakes / 10” stackers (cut (16) 2½” squares from one 10” square)
I look forward to seeing what everyone else dreams up to make this week! Linking up with Project Quilting 14.2, Needle and Thread Thursday, Beauties Pageant 202, Finished or Not Friday, and January 2023 Favorite Finish.