Today kicks off the 14th season of Project Quilting. I have watched others participate for years (and Quilting Jetgirl is and has been a sponsor for Project Quilting), but I have never participated myself. I know, how have I not made something before?? Well, when the prompt for PQ14.1 came out today, I knew it was time to jump in.
The project for this week must somehow use the theme of “one.”
How I interpreted and used “one” to influence my project:
- I chose to use one color
- Fabric (front, back, and binding): Northcott Fabrics ColorWorks Premium Solids in Lime
- Thread: 50wt Aurifil 1231 Spring Green
- I chose to quilt one free motion quilting motif
- I started in the center of my quilt sandwich and didn’t let myself over think it. I started with a loopy spiral and then played with expanding that out into terrain like shapes.
- I made it (and am posting about it) all in one day
- This is my first Project Quilting project!
- And this is my first completed project of 2023!
Once quilted, I trimmed the quilt sandwich down to 16″ wide by 12″ tall, which I think is a great size for a quilted placemat. I finished the binding by hand. I do love hand binding my finishes, but as the days are short, I was starting to second guess my choice about halfway through the hand binding process.
The most challenging part of this entire process for me was getting photographs of the finished placemat. It was overcast and raining or snowing here all day, and I put in the last stitches for the binding right before sunset; but there was still a little natural light coming in my studio. Overall, I had a great time with this challenge and am glad I finally dove in and created a quilt in response to a Project Quilting prompt!
Want to join me? You have until noon on Sunday, January 8th (Central Time), to make and link up your quilt/quilted project that you make in response to the prompt!