Today is a doubly good day; my brother is celebrating a milestone birthday today (happy birthday, C!) and I have a quilt finish to share!
I had a lot of fun adding the quilting detail to Meringue. I started in the center and quilted my way from darkest to lightest and then finished with the background quilting. As I mentioned previously, I had a suggestion in my Facebook group by Linda McLaren that I adored: “It would also be fun to have the cross hatching in the transparency segments to have the quilting thread from the 2 colours”. I auditioned the thread inside those orange peel sections that Linda was referencing, and, in the end, I liked it best with color matched thread, but I wavered back and forth on that decision. I love doing what she suggested, but it didn’t feel quite right for this quilt.
I did all the quilting on my domestic Juki TL-2200 QVP Mini with coordinating 50wt Aurifil thread. The pairings of Kona Cotton and Aurifil that I used are:
- Kona Oyster – Aurifil 2000 (Light Sand)
- Kona Mustard – Aurifil 2130 (Medium Butter)
- Kona Ochre – Aurifil 2140 (Orange Mustard)
- Kona Gold – Aurifil 2210 (Caramel)
- Kona Spice – Aurifil 2350 (Copper)
- Kona Brown – Aurifil 2360 (Chocolate)
You know me and solid quilt backings: I love to use them so that the quilting is extra visible. I used more Kona Spice for the backing and binding. There were a lot of threads to bury from the quilting, and I’m glad I still have some side threading needles (not an affiliate link) on hand. Since beginning to use them about a year ago when I quilted Pulsar, I’ve used most of them, so it’s time for me to place a new order.
I always color match my bobbin thread to the thread I’m quilting on top, and the change in colors across the quilt backing is subtle, but something that I enjoy looking to see.
After the quilting was complete, I gave the quilt a good, warm press. After being scrunched and passed through the throat space of my machine for the quilting, I wanted to see if the quilt needed to be blocked in order to lay flat. To my delight, the simple pressing was all the quilt needed. After the press, I used the background quilting grid in order to trim the quilt square. Meringue finished at 36″ square.
I still see the sumptuous shapes of baked, golden brown, whipped meringue on top of a pie when I look at the finished quilt, but my good friend Cheryl from Meadow Mist Designs suggested that the crosshatch quilting in the curve stars reminds her of sunflowers, which is another delightful reference.
I’m going to immediately dig in to quilt the Meringue bonus quilt, Garden Peony, and I’m planning to get that quilt complete in the next week (fingers crossed) so that I can release the Meringue quilt pattern (which will include the Garden Peony bonus quilt pattern instructions as well) on Wednesday, June 15th. Wish me luck in getting it all done in time!