After pausing on working on the TDR Queen (Playful Partial Seams workshop sample mini quilt), I was able to come back and make better progress on moving it forward.
Most importantly, I was able to cut correctly from the background fabric. Whew. With the correct cut under my belt, I was able to successfully get the mini quilt pieced without further mishap. While I did have enough fabric to make 1 more block if I had to, I was really hoping to avoid that.
While basting a quilt never counts as “fun” for me, I was relieved to get to this step. And mini quilts don’t take that long to baste in the grand scheme of things.
That said, I was so excited that as soon as I took these photos, I removed the tape and picked up the mini quilt from my floor. Only to realize I had not basted the batting to the backing outside the edges of the mini quilt. So back down it went so I could secure things a bit better before quilting. As long as I don’t make too many mistakes (oh man, I hope I’m not jinxing myself), this mini quilt should get finished up this week.