I get to share the Planview pieced quilt top with you today!
As an engineer, I created plans to communicate how to manufacture parts that I developed. Plans are two-dimensional diagrams used to describe an object and communicate building and/or fabrication instructions. A plan view is a projection looking down on the object, like in a floor plan for a house. When I created the design for this quilt along, I started by overlapping various sizes of rotated plus shapes and the end result strongly reminded me of the plan view of the John C. Hodges library (the library of my college alma mater), resulting in the name of the design.
I have a detailed quilting plan that I’ll share with you in a separate blog post, but needless to say, I have my threads picked out for the quilting. I matched:
- 50wt Aurifl 2740 (Dark Cobalt) to Boomerangs CORNFLOWER 10002-42 (blue)
- 50wt Aurifil 5006 (Light Turquoise) to Sparkle CARIBBEAN 10003-62 (aqua)
- 50wt Aurifil 2870 (Green) to Sticks IRISH 10007-72 (green)
- 50wt Aurifil 1231 (Spring Green) to Hatching LEAF 10009-71 (lime)
- 50wt Aurifil 2130 (Medium Butter) to Criss Cross SUNNY 10010-5 (yellow)
- 50wt Aurifl 2024 (White) to Open Weave White 10015-10 (white)
Along the way in piecing the quilt top, I had this happy pile of trimmings. I was recently introduced to the #FriendlyFabricMonster hashtag on Instagram, but I didn’t have any googley eyes. However, my husband had these two spherical bearings which worked out perfectly. Next time, I think I’ll try using a few empty bobbins for eyes.
If you are interested in joining in, the Planview Quilt Along will kick off at the end of this year with a nice slow ramp up and then get going in early 2022. It’s going to be a really fun one; I hope you join me!
Planview Quilt Along Dates
- November 15, 2021 – Signups open (Patrons get access for free)
- December 1, 2021 – Fabric Requirements
- January 5, 2022 – Cutting Instructions
- January 26, 2022 – Piecing #1
- February 9, 2022 – Piecing #2
- February 23, 2022 – Piecing #3
- March 9, 2022 – Piecing #4
- March 30, 2022 – April 30 – Final Linkup