Over the past week and a half, I had so much fun getting to quilt and finish the group quilt. We have named it Thrown for a Curve.
First, let’s take a look at the 8 coordinating thread colors I used to finish the quilt. I used 50wt Aurifil in:
2460 (Dark Carmine Red) to match 9000-252 Marrakech
2235 (Orange) to match 9000-590 Tangerine
2145 (Yellow Orange) to match 9000-580 Carrot
2140 (Orange Mustard) to match 9000-550 Saffron
2130 (Medium Butter) to match 9000-530 Cheese Sauce
1231 (Spring Green) to match 9000-71 Lime
2312 (Ermine) to match 9000-314 Shortbread
2024 (White) to match 9000-11 Eggshell
I had all of these thread colors in my stash, so in a few of these instances the color match is not 100% perfect. If I had pulled out my Aurifil color card and color matched to the fabrics, I probably would have opted for a few different options (specifically I think there are better options to match to the Tangerine and Carrot fabrics), but these worked really well.
As a reminder, the fabric for the group quilt was generously donated by Northcott Fabrics and are their ColorWorks Premium Solids in the colors noted above.
Originally concepted in 2019, Thrown for a Curve is a group project based around curved piecing. In 2019, we did not anticipate being unable to get together in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, we waited until we were vaccinated in 2021 to get together to finish this project. The ghost quilted leaf represents the year we missed getting together, and the randomly spaced echoing quilting lines represent our occasionally bold and hesitant steps back toward normalcy.
All fabric was prewashed prior to use. When I received the quilt top it was approximately 50 1/2-inches wide by 51 3/4-inches tall. After quilting and trimming the quilt square, it finished at 48 3/4-inches wide by 50 1/4-inches tall. The quilt lays nice and flat and was easy to square up (the vertical quilting lines were excellent guides for my rulers!).
As you may remember from my quilting plan post, I decided to stitch around each pieced component, use a faux-Trapunto technique underneath the solid portions of each leaf, add straight lines in the dark background, curved echo lines in the light background, and then add some random free motion quilting into other areas. Once I had all of the pieces outlined and the background quilting complete, I felt like the background also needed some areas with free motion quilting added.
I used 3 rounded free motion quilting motifs for the accent areas: string of pearls / pebbles, ribbon candy, and wishbone. I wanted the free motion quilting to add accents but to leave you perhaps wanting a bit more. Much like the quilt name suggests (Thrown for a Curve), I think the past 18 months have all left us wanting a bit more.
The quilt is bound using the bright lime green. Thanks to all the group members who contributed to help make this quilt a reality: Valore Kasten, Travis Seward, Faye Jones, and Cheryl Brickey. I’ll be submitting the quilt to the group quilt category for QuiltCon and we’ll see if it gets accepted.
And as always, thanks to my husband, the professional quilt holder. For those who are curious, the plants behind the quilt are Ti plants (pronounced tea).