I tested out the lap size of the soon-to-be-released Pulsar quilt pattern, which finishes at 72″ square. I knew that basting a quilt this size was going to be stretch in our cozy 512 square foot (47.5 square meter) cottage, so after a few days of measuring and planning how to make it work, I was able to give it a try.
One of the real reasons I had to wait a few days is that I needed all the space in our combined office / sewing area. After removing all of the chairs (we normally have two office chairs plus my bar height chair that I use at my sewing machine in this space), I laid out the quilt backing and it *JUST* fit in the space. To minimize my time and risk of hitting my head on all of the obstacles, my husband helped me basted the quilt which made the whole process go much faster!
In real time, I was able to get the quilt top basted a little over 3 weeks ago. I knew that with the amount of quilting density I had planned, that it was going to take some time to execute.
As you may know, I am a pin baster. Due to extreme chemical sensitivity, spray basting is just not an option in my household, so I’ve learned how to make pin basting work the best for me. One thing that I have started doing in the past year is adding basting pins on the perimeter of the quilt OUTSIDE of the quilt top. These pins hold the batting and backing together and they have improved my ability to keep the quilt backing from flipping over and accidentally getting quilted into places it does not belong. Not only do they hold the batting and backing together, but their extra weight and even their sound as I manipulate the quilt are extra helpful, too. I highly recommend it!