Well, in the end I stuck with the 1″ quilting density for Sky Full of Stars. The quilting seems to be just what the quilt needed, and I probably didn’t have enough of the dark navy thread to double the density.
The quilt finished at 48″ square after quilting and binding. I love how the quilt shows off both the Curve Star Blocks and Inset Curve Stars. The piecing method is a great way to feature some favorite prints, and I like how the dark Kona Cotton Storm contrasts and sets off these Carolyn Friedlander prints.
I used my walking foot and guide to quilt the 1″ spaced lines. Even going a stitch at a time, I found that I lost precision in my lines as the curves got smaller, so I ripped out the smallest curves with a 1″ or 2″ radius and marked them all with my Hera marker. I was much happier with the consistency and even the stitch length was better once I had a clear path to follow for those tight curves.
I used 50wt Aurifil 2784 (Dark Navy) for the piecing and for quilting the background. For quilting the stars, I switched to using 50wt Aurifil 2024 (White). Instead of continuing the echo for the center of the stars, I opted to quilt a plus shape, which I like to think is a bit of sparkle for each star.
I love that the backing really shows off the quilting design, and I find the echo quilting in the corners to have a very retro vibe.
The photo above is probably the closest to the true color of the Kona Cotton Jungle backing that I was able to capture. Getting my camera white balance to play well with these bold, saturated colors can be a trick.
I had enough of one of the Architextures crosshatch prints from the front to use as the binding, and I think it creates a nice frame and compliments both the solids on the front and back of the quilt.
My favorite time spent quilting this week was stitching the binding down for this finish. I think I will focus on turning my test blocks into mini quilt finishes before picking out a new project to work on. I hope you found some time for quilting this week, too.