Let’s just jump right in and take a look at the goals I set for 2020 and how things are progressing.
- Host and have fun with the Push-Pull Quilt Along. – Yay and Complete!
- Be on the crew at QuiltCon. – Complete! (And just in the nick of time, too.)
- Teach at QuiltCon. – Complete!
- Continue to blog 1-2 times a week as content arises. – So far, so good.
- Being online less in 2019 showed me that I was over extended in the time I spent on social media. As a result, continue to engage on social media 1-2 days a week maximum. – Busted; I’ve spent waaaaay too much time online. More discussion about this below.
- Release 6+ new Quilting Jetgirl patterns and continue designing. – 7 patterns released already, with probably more ideas than I can realistically pursue/release in the remainder of the year.
- Grow technical editing by continuing to explore new opportunities, especially as some businesses shrink or close. – This is going very well. Again, more details below.
- Traveling meant that I was not able to coordinate some teaching opportunities. Now that I am home and settled again, I am looking forward to exploring opportunities with guilds that are interested. – In a rare silver lining, COVID19 induced pivoting to online teaching is helping open up more opportunities here.
- Work on finishing long term WIPs. – 2 of 3 complete!
- Have fun with other new projects! – Yes, I am currently in the middle of exploring a lot of new ideas. More to come on Friday!
- Specifically, participation in the Modern Design Lab has been a great source of inspiration and new projects for me.
2020 Big Picture Goals
- Remember my overarching life goal of seeking mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual balance. – 2020 sure has been challenging, but I’m doing my best to keep this in mind.
- Continue to embrace the “seek rejection” philosophy. – I definitely am still embracing this. Some opportunities work out, some don’t.
- Be gentle with myself. – I do expect a lot from myself. This is a good reminder.
On Being Online
The elephant in the room for me is the amount of time I have spent online. I have always been a big advocate, cheerleader, and I hope a leader of the online quilting community. Last November, it started to become obvious to me that being an administrator for the Facebook Quilt Pattern Designers group was something that I needed to step away from. It was a critical time in the group, however, as the group was struggling. Long story made very short, new admins have just gone through the hand-off, and I’m hoping I can take a deep breath and get more offline time.
My technical editing work has been growing, and the more engaged I get as an editor, the more I love the work. While the work does fluctuate, I am starting to consistently work for 2-4 hours a day. This is approaching the maximum amount of time I want to spend doing technical editing work while still being able to find time for my own creative pursuits, so I will need to pay close attention to maintaining this level and not taking on more work than I can handle.
- Overall, I have to admit that I was surprised to see how many of my 2020 goals I have already met.
- I will be doing a lot of video production learning in the second half of this year in order to create quality workshops for QuiltCon Together (registration for members opens today!), and I am looking forward to that.
- I will continue to monitor the time I spend online as right now I am feeling overextended there.
- My next focus in pattern writing will be figuring out what the next Quilt Along will be (note: my patrons will have input).
Linking up with the #2020MidYearCheckIn.