When I purchased all the Kona Cotton yardage from my local quilt shop that is closing, I was intrigued by the Yarrow/Spice/Burgundy color combination. Last week I decided to start thinking about what I could made using those fabrics. To start, I went to my cut up Kona Cotton color card and found the color swatches for the 4 fabrics I planned to use (I added in Bone which I also purchased at the same time).
I also cut my Aurifil thread color card to make it easier to color match thread color to fabric selections. The first thing I did was evaluate the fabric swatches against the thread colors at different times of day and under different lighting conditions. I made my selections and placed an order with Hawthorne Supply Co., which stocks all the 270 Aurifil thread colors.
My thread order arrived on Tuesday night, and I’m really pleased with the color matching. I selected:
- 2311 Muslin to match Kona Bone,
- 2140 Orange Mustard to match Kona Yarrow,
- 2350 Copper to match Kona Spice, and
- 2468 Dark Wine to match Kona Burgundy.
After placing the thread order, I got a bit stumped in terms of design. The palette made me think of fall which made me think of fall color and leaves, but that wasn’t sparking anything for me. So I went through photos on Unsplash, and I found this lovely photograph of fall mums taken by Patrick Donnelly. What I was attracted to in the mums were their darker centers with lighter / brighter edges and their radial / rounded symmetry.
From inspiration to the above initial design took hardly any time at all. Even the name – Mum’s Garden – fell quickly into place.
The piecing of the initial design came together so much quicker than I anticipated, even with all the curved seams! The more I worked with the design and color palette, the more I fell in love with it. The current piecing would finish at 48″ square, which just isn’t big enough. So I went back to the drawing board and have a plan for expanding the quilt top out to 60″ x 72″.
The additional piecing I have planned includes smaller curved piecing (the curves already sewn finish at 6″, and the ones shown above finish at 3″) to combine to make a 6″ finished “star” block. To reduce the number of seams, I started exploring if I could make the star with 5 pieces without the need for joining smaller blocks.
The first star block I pieced (upper left) was a little bit wonky, so I tried sewing with the convex pieces on top instead of on bottom for my second attempt (upper right). However, my second attempt was a lot worse than my first, so I went back and refined my cutting and I’m really happy with how the third block (bottom) came together. I suspect I’ll be back soon with a pieced quilt top!
And yes, I am now looking at how I pieced the center of the quilt with entirely new eyes. Who knows, I might make a second version of this quilt just to test out piecing the center differently as soon as I finish this version.