By taking it slow and steady this week, I’m thrilled to say I was able to finish my 2018 Aurifil Designer of the Month quilt.
My shoulders got tired of wrestling with the quilt as I began the spiral; it’s a lot of bulk to move around for those first several passes. I took frequent breaks and stretched a lot and overall I am really happy with how the spiral quilting looks.
The weather here this week has been windy (greater than 20 miles per hour consistently for 5 days in a row). While higher winds are nothing new, it is really wearing on my nerves this week. So instead of an outdoor photography shoot, my husband helpfully held the quilt for me in our living room.
I’m actually wondering how many of you are looking at the quilt finish or trying to decipher all the odds and ends on the custom book shelf behind the quilt?
I love how a solid quilt backing can really show off the quilting. The light purple Timeless Treasures solid worked really well, and I only had to unpick one quilting line toward the very final corner as I was finishing to adjust and smooth out a tuck on the backing. All in all, all the pin basting was worth it!
In case you were wondering where the “Jetgirl” part of Quilting Jetgirl comes from, I will pause here to point out a few features of the background. In the lower left is a custom turbojet engine that my husband (who earned the nickname Jetman as a teenager) designed and tested. We built a composite aircraft together and this is the engine he designed to power the carbon fiber plane. We never finished the project – the Federal Aviation Regulation that we were designing the airframe to was superseded by a different regulation that we could not meet – but it was a fun home project. It was thrilling the first time we spooled up the engine to test it.
The upper shelf of our bookcase is reserved for showcasing special items from our engineering careers. Most of the books on the bookshelf are engineering reference texts, but there are a few non-fiction fun reads (mostly in the SciFi genre) and I do have one shelf for my quilting books and books I have technical edited.
I opted to machine stitch the binding to both sides of the quilt for a faster finish. I used a fun geometric rainbow print I ordered from Bernie at Needle and Foot a few years ago.
The quilt measured 71 1/2″ square after quilting and binding (1.4% shrinkage from 72 1/2″) and 68″ square after its first wash and dry (6.2% shrinkage from 72 1/2″). I’ll be marking this off my 2020 Goals, which leaves me with only one other long term WIP to finish up this year!