Today I’m pleased to share how my December MDL Challenge and Aurifil Artisan Holiday Project quilt came together.
Pulsar finished at 37 1/2 inches square. I used the four-at-a-time flying geese method to make all the geese units. The most time consuming part of putting the quilt top together was deciding how I wanted to set the corner units. After using setting triangles to rotate the stack of flying geese pieced chevrons 45-degrees, I opted to add a border on two sides to nest the chevrons in close to the center, which gave the finished quilt a really nice balance and pulsing feeling, which is how I decided to name the quilt Pulsar. Pulsars emit regular pulses of radio waves and other electromagnetic radiation at rates of up to one thousand pulses per second.
To piece the quilt, I used 50wt Aurifil 2630 (Dark Pewter) which blended in perfectly with the background Kona Cotton Charcoal. To bind the quilt, I used 40wt Aurifil in #2905 (Army Green), which disappears into the cross weave of the binding fabric.
I found a beautiful shade of 12wt red Aurifl thread in my stash, #2265 (Lobster Red), which was close to the Red Pepper color in the inspiration color board, so I straight line quilted every 2 inches with my walking foot. I didn’t have 2265 in the matching 50wt thread, so I used 50wt #2460 (Dark Carmine Red) in the bobbin and I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference.
I spent a lot of time looking at the quilt top deciding if it was done or not after the initial quilting. This is the least densely I’ve quilted a quilt in a very long time, but in the end I couldn’t come up with an idea I liked for adding more to the quilt, so I decided it was complete.
After the first wash, Pulsar finishes at 35 1/2 inches square, which means the quilt shrunk 5.3%. I do love the krinkle of a quilt freshly washed!
I think Pulsar would also look great trimmed into a large circle and even possible modified into a tree skirt. I wish you a very Merry Christmas and holiday season this year!