Today is my day to share a letter in the Typecast of Characters blog tour, hosted by Sheri from Whole Circle Studio. I met Sheri in person when I filmed for Fresh Quilting in June of 2017, and I am eager to present my version of the letter “J” from Sheri’s latest pattern, Typecast, with you today.
You might be wondering why I made the letter “J”. My maiden name begins with the letter “J”, and when I am thinking about making small items these days, I think about my nieces (who share my maiden name).
Typecast is an English Paper Piecing (EPP) pattern that makes all 26 letters of the English alphabet. EPP is perfect for travel, and I took my prepared pieces with me when I traveled to QuiltCon in February. Between my flight there and flight home, I was able to complete my block! *Note I did not do any hand sewing during QuiltCon although I always take handwork with me in case I get slivers of time.
Ultimately, I chose to piece my letter into a panel to create a bag to gift to my 5-year-old niece. Her favorite color has shifted from black (because it is all the colors) to pink and purple to rainbow to anything in between. Knowing that she does favor purple, though, I thought that a mostly purple bag with rainbow accents would be the way to go.
The bag pattern I used is a bag I have sewn before. A few years ago, the Quilter’s Planner had a Busy Bag Sew Along to collect bags for Sadie’s Dream for a Cure, and I used that pattern because I knew I had success sewing it in the past.
The main panels of the bag are made using Studio e Modern Batik fat quarters. The rainbow print for the straps and piping are an Andover print I purchased from Needle & Foot a few years ago.
The pattern calls for a pocket on the outside of the bag and a pocket on the inside, but I wanted the Typecast J to be the star of the show on the exterior. I chose to put both pockets on the inside.
When I gifted the bag to my niece, she immediately put some of her treasures, special coins she got at an aquarium with a shark and a penguin, in the interior pockets. The bag was also used in an early Easter egg hunt. Nothing makes an auntie happier than seeing a handmade gift used and loved!
The Typecast pattern guide and paper packs are available and that all the details can be found at: https://shop.
Be sure to follow along with the full Typecast of Characters blog tour for other ideas for how to use this excellent EPP pattern!
TYPECAST OF CHARACTERS BLOG TOUR hosted by Whole Circle Studio:
• Wednesday, March 27: Tour Introduction by Whole Circle Studio
• Monday, April 1 — A: Kate Brennan of Aurifil
• Tuesday, April 2 — B: Mathew Bourdreaux of Mister Domestic
• Wednesday, April 3 — C: Tara Curtis of Wefty Needle
• Thursday, April 4— D: Leah Day of Free Motion Quilting Project
• Friday, April 5 — Week 1 Wrap Up featuring A-D and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio
• Monday, April 8 — E: Jess Finn of Paper Pieces
• Tuesday, April 9 — F: Sylvia Schaefer of Flying Parrot Quilts
• Wednesday, April 10 — G: Giuseppe Ribaudo of Giucy Giuce
• Thursday, April 11— H: Hilary Jordan of By Hilary Jordan
• Friday, April 12 — Week 2 Wrap Up featuring E-H and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio
• Monday, April 15 — I: Kim Soper of Leland Ave Studios
• Tuesday, April 16 — J: Yvonne Fuchs of Quilting Jetgirl
• Wednesday, April 17 — K: Karen O’Connor of Lady K Quilts
• Thursday, April 18 — L: Kristy Daum of St. Louis Folk Victorian
• Friday, April 19 — Week 3 Wrap Up featuring I-L and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio
• Monday, April 22 — M: Molli Sparkles of Molli Sparkles
• Tuesday, April 23 — N: Nicole Daksiewicz of Modern Handcraft
• Wednesday, April 24 — O: Scott Hansen of Blue Nickel Studios
• Thursday, April 25 — P: Pat Sloan of Pat Sloan
• Friday, April 26 — Week 4 Wrap Up featuring M-P and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio
• Monday, April 29 — Q: Joanna Marsh of Kustom Kwilts
• Monday, April 29 — Q: Lindsay Széchényi of Lindsay Széchényi (and Patchwork Threads)
• Tuesday, April 30 — R: Andrea Tsang Jackson of 3rd Story Workshop
• Wednesday, May 1 — S: Sarah Thomas of Sariditty
• Thursday, May 2 — T: Rachel Rossi of Rachel Rossi
• Friday, May 3— Week 4 Wrap Up featuring Q-T and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio
• Monday, May 6 — U: Kitty Wilkin of Night Quilter
• Tuesday, May 7 — V: Jenn McMillan of Fabric, Ink
• Wednesday, May 8 — W: Jenny Meeker of Bobbin Roulette Studio
• Thursday, May 9 — X: Stephanie Kendron of Modern Sewciety
• Friday, May 10 — Week 5 Wrap Up featuring U-X and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio
• Monday, May 13 — Y: Debby Brown of Debby Brown Quilts
• Tuesday, May 14 — Z: Nisha Bouri and Kim Martucci of Brimfield Awakening
• Wednesday, May 15 — Week 6 Wrap Up featuring Y-Z, Tour closeout and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio
Linking up with Beauties Pageant 29.