One of the reasons I was motivated to finish the Butterfly Inspiration Mini Quilt a few weeks ago was that it was time for me to start working on the next design group challenge. In general, I like to finish one project before moving on to another (although quilt alongs and other long term projects definitely interrupt that general trend for me). So once I had wrapped up the Butterfly Inspiration quilt, I felt ready to tackle the next challenge.
Cindy Lammon of Hyacinth Quilt Designs supplied the inspiration images for this challenge. They are murals on the new restaurant in Greenville called el Thrifty, which were painted by Greenville, SC, local artist Sunny Mullarkey. I was drawn to the golden elements in the murals and especially to the orange peel design on the mural on the right in the collage above.
Based on that element, I recreated the design to create the Crown Mini Quilt. I used 4 different yellow solids in varying tones. The center full orange peel is a Kona cotton and the 3 outer half orange peel blocks are Michael Miller Cotton Couture solids. I like that these challenges also help me focus on using what I have available in my stash.
I created the mini quilt quickly using templates cut from cardboard using a compass to create the orange peel shape. Then I traced the templates onto the fabric, cut the fabric, and stitched them to the quilt top using raw edge applique. Note that my machine, a Juki TL-2200 QVP Mini, is only a straight line stitch machine, so the raw edges have frayed and I keep trimming the loose threads back as I have worked on the quilt.
Next, I took 2 layers of batting and stitched the 2 layers of batting behind the shapes, cutting the 2 layers back as close to the sewn seam as possible. Then I created a typical quilt sandwich. I don’t have a photo of the backing, but it is the darkest Michael Miller Cotton Couture solid (which is also the binding). Having that much extra batting behind the shapes, I am hopeful that they will stay full and not sag or wrinkle over time.
For the quilting, I used 50wt Aurifil 2105. I started by outlining the shapes for a 3rd time to keep the mini quilt as flat as possible. Then I just used the edge of my presser foot as a guide and echo quilted around the shapes. I think the dense quilting helps the shapes stand out and provides good definition. The texture, especially on the upper portion of the quilt, is really fun to run my hands over!
The Crown mini quilt finished at 21″ wide by 17 1/2″ tall. The orange peel templates were 7″ from point to point and after fraying and puffing the orange peel shapes are 6 3/4″ point to point.