First things first: happiest of happy birthday wishes to my husband today (this is his 40th birthday)!!
I realized that I had better sit down and write down my goals for 2019 before I missed linking up with my own hosted #2019PlanningParty! Before I jump into sharing my goals for 2019, I want to look back on my 2018 goals and see how things have gone this year.
2018 Shorter Term / Actionable Goals
- Make 3-4 bed quilts for us!! – I am planning on 3, and I am currently a little over halfway through with the goal. If I’m lucky, I’ll have 2/3 complete by the end of the year.
- Take time for self care!
- Pick one thing each month – reading, baths, walks outside, gym or yoga time, etc. – I did these things but not in a focused way each month.
- Repeat: “Time expands when I need it.” – I am good at remembering this mantra when I need to use it.
- Repeat: “It is OK to plan for and allow myself me-time.” – I am not very good at this. I very rarely have any down time. Between Quilting Jetgirl, Wabi-Sabi Overland, biking and walking with my husband each day, gym time, and keeping the house in order, my days full to overflowing and I fall into bed exhausted every night.
- Mail something – a note, postcard – to my nieces each month. – I did not meet this goal at all.
- Write a blog post 3 times a week. – On average, I posted more than 3 times a week.
- Be online less (this is an evolution of some big picture goal setting, see #4 below). – Adding in Wabi-Sabi Overland as a blog and Instagram account really did not help with this goal. I don’t think I was online any less at all; in fact, I was online probably even more.
- Continue to focus on pattern writing. – I also focused on teaching and technical editing, which I have learned that I love to do!
2018 Big Picture Goals
- Remember my overarching life goal of seeking mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual balance. – I do remember this, especially when things get really out of balance as it helps me re-frame my priorities.
- Continue to embrace the “seek rejection” philosophy. – Adding teaching and technical editing to my offerings has definitely continued this!
- Be gentle with myself. – Maybe?
- Continue to work on big picture goals while being open and flexible to what life has in store. – I had to be very flexible this year. I have wrapped up all but one remaining magazine project.
2018 Quilting Jetgirl Income Review
I started my Quilting Jetgirl business in 2014, and I thought I would share what my end of year statistics have looked like since I have been in business. In 2014 my expenses far outweighed my income, making my total income for the year negative (I bought a longarm, ha!). Since then, my income has grown year over year, my expenses hover around the same amount, and so my total income has slowly increased each year as well. The big positive difference for me this year was adding teaching and technical editing to my offering.
I have removed values from the chart. I have had a very high paying job that was way too stressful. I now have a “job” that I love that makes a little bit of money. On the whole, this is better as long as bills can be paid…
2019 Short Term Goals
So, with big changes afoot in my life, here are my short term goals that I have for through the end of April 2019.
- Complete obligations
- Fox Wholecloth Quilt (by the end of this year, if possible)
- Complete 3rd bed quilt for Wabi-Sabi Overland (Bubbly)
- Complete final magazine project
- Be on the crew at QuiltCon
- Teach at QuiltCon
- Teach in March in Los Osos, CA
- Teach in April in Hot Springs, AR
- Continue to blog 2-4 times a week, as content arises
- Continue to focus on pattern writing, technical editing, and teaching
- Prepare for living in Wabi-Sabi Overland
- Make bags for safe storage of identified items
- Make dinette seat cushions
- Purchase mobile wifi hotspot and begin testing out remote access functionality
2019 Longer Term Goals
These goals are purposefully for once my husband and I begin traveling in Wabi-Sabi Overland, which will hopefully begin at the very end of April/early May 2019.
- Finish any remaining projects; these are not obligations like the list above, so they will likely fall to the backburner
- Make baby size version of Wonder quilt
- Finish Aurifil BOM blocks and quilt
- Finish Modern Plus Sampler QAL quilt
- Finish Splendid Sampler 2 blocks and quilt
- Finish Aurifil/OLFA project
- Have fun and make new projects!
- Continue to blog as content and wifi are available
- Continue to focus on pattern writing and technical editing
- Release 2019 Patreon Pattern (Bubbly)
- Full reveal of 2019 Patreon Pattern
- Release Wonder
- Release Flight Path
- Release Precession
- Release Mirage
- Learn what it means to be online much less often (!!)
2019 Big Picture Goals
- Remember my overarching life goal of seeking mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual balance.
- Continue to embrace the “seek rejection” philosophy.
- I hope to stop in at quilt shops along our Wabi-Sabi Overland journey and, who knows, maybe I can find the opportunity to teach along the way??
- Be gentle with myself.
- There are lots of changes in store this year, and not everything is going to go smoothly. I hope I remember that it is all going to be OK.
Linking up with the #2019PlanningParty.