After the last weighted quilt update, I went straight into sewing the two quilt layers together following the lines I had taped out on the quilt top. Only to either sew on the wrong side of the tape or find I had marked them a bit less consistently than I thought. Oops!
I actually didn’t notice when I took this picture… I noticed after I had filled and sewn 2 rows closed with poly pellets. So, not perfectly “square” but it does the trick just fine. Note that I sewed around the sides and bottom in this photograph, leaving the tops of the columns open so I can add the poly pellets.
Also, here’s a quick update on the Quilter’s Dream Dream Pink batting. There were great questions about the batting after the last post, and I was able to find that the pink fibers are actually extruded pink and not dyed. 10% of Dream Pink sales go to breast cancer research.
Another great outcome from the last post I shared: Jan from Cocoa Quilts mentioned that she used a wrapping paper tube to help pour the beads down the columns. It’s a brilliant idea, and while I did not have a wrapping paper tube on hand, I was able to use a funnel and a bit of aluminum tube to accomplish the same goal.
For the final three rows, I switched to using a paper towel tube along with the funnel, and to fill the final row, I cut down the length of the paper towel tube in half. As the quilt rows were filled with beads and sewn shut, the quilt obviously became heavier and heavier. To fill the final rows, I folded the quilt in half lengthwise and then draped it back and forth across the floor so that the top row was standing nice and upright propped against a wall. After pouring in the final row’s poly pellets, I taped the top edge closed.
Maneuvering carefully to my sewing machine, I always tried to keep the quilt as upright as possible to keep the polly pellets snug in the bottom of the row I was sewing closed. For the final row, sewing needed to progress slowly. I would pull a bit of the tape that was closing off the pocket back, and then stitch forward following the edge of the tape marking the line I wanted to sew. As you can see in the picture, the quilt is still folded in half lengthwise at this point, aiding in my ability to keep the pockets as upright as possible while sewing. I became adept at feeling for the poly pellets between the layers and jouncing the quilt to snuggle the pellets down and away from where I was sewing.
Also notice that I used my walking foot to sew the two layers together and through this entire finishing process. As Jacquie Gering says, it’s a walking foot – so walk, don’t run. A bit of patience and slow forward sewing later, and I had the weighted quilt filled and sealed!
Having left a lot of extra room around the edge of the quilt, I went back and trimmed so that there is 1/2-inch beyond all the edge seams. The final step will be to stitch on a label and binding!