I made a lot of progress since I last wrote about the weighted quilt on Tuesday, so I’m not sure it’s quite fair to say this is “Step 2”, but it’s the more like Part 2 in sharing about my approach!
I quilted 2 panels, using a muslin as the backing for each. The top fabrics were each approximately 1.5 yards.
I chose to quilt both panels with the same motif: a swirl/hook flower. I thought that the motif was absolutely perfect for my Moana and Maui loving niece. As you can also see in the photo above, I used a new batting for this project: Quilter’s Dream Dream Pink. I thought the secret splash of color would be fun, and if it was also a great way for me to test if the pink read through light colored fabrics. I think there is more of a color tint from the Dream Pink than I have noticed from the Dream Green batting.
After quilting, I quickly trimmed up each quilted panel.
And then I pin basted the two panels together, keeping the two muslin surfaces in the center.
The Moana fabric was slightly longer but narrower than the Kona Cotton panel.
After pin basting, I went around all 4 sides and trimmed the panels even to one another.
Once I had the maximum size of the panels, I took a few measurements and decided that I would be able to get a 42-inch wide by 50-inch tall finished quilt, allowing between 5/8-3/4 inch extra around all the edges. Using my new tool, a Laser Square (which I purchased through Amazon, but is sold out at the moment – non affiliate link), I marked out the edges of the 42 x 50 perimeter.
You can just *barely* make out the faint red glow of the laser in the image above. Note that I was finally persuaded in the benefits of the laser square after reading Debbie from A Quilter’s Table post about Laser Levels and Mandy of Mandalei Quilts has an awesome tutorial on Trimming Your Quilt with Tools from the Hardware Store.
Because the quilt is 42 inches wide, I decided to mark columns every 6 inches to add the weighted poly beads, so I marked the tape lines for doing that as well. Before wrapping up for the day (my back was saying it was done crawling on the floor please and thank you very much), I made a few quick marks every 5 inches along the 2 sides to use to mark the straight lines to “cap off” every column after I fill them with poly beads.
Up next, I will sew around 3 sides of the perimeter: the two sides and the bottom of the quilt. I purchased 4 pounds of poly beads, so I will weigh them to get an accurate weight on what I received. With 7 columns and 10 rows, I will divide the total weight by 70 and measure out that weight to fill each column. After the 7 columns are filled, I’ll mark and sew to close the row off.
I’ll be back next week to share how this goes and talk about how I plan to finish the quilt!