After sharing about the progress I made early last week in piecing a second version of Star Cube in Urban Garden Fabrics, I debated on the fabric position for the last two quadrants the next morning for a while longer before committing to a final layout. This version of the Star Cube quilt finishes at 48-inches square, so quilting it went pretty quickly, and this weekend I put the final hand touches on for the binding, hanging sleeve, and label.
As many of you keenly pointed out, this version of Star Cube plays up the 3D shape of the cubes in each quadrant a lot more than the secondary star pattern that is created (and more easily seen in the original Star Cube quilt).
I used a medium gray thread for the quilting: 50wt Aurifil 5004 (Grey Smoke), and I decided to go with Circuitboard Quilting as the motif. I like the way the quilting color and motif gives the quilt a great texture without detracting from the bold fabrics and design.
I had to laugh as myself as I was quilting this quilt. I always try to make an informed decision about how many bobbins to wind before I start quilting. This quilt is relatively smaller than some I have quilted recently, and I told myself that with an all over motif I wouldn’t need much thread. So I wound 3 bobbins and ran out a little over halfway through quilting. I don’t know why I keep thinking “oh, I won’t quilt this quilt as densely”. I should just wind twice as many bobbins as I guess from now on.
The selvages for Urban Garden are lovely. I love that it includes #quiltwithlove and the colors in the print are represented by bees. So I saved all the selvages as I was working and bound the quilt with them to show off how lovely they are as well.
And one last photo to round out this finish post, because it shows two key things:
- I do label my quilts (well, sometimes anyway, haha)!
- The backing is another print from Urban Garden, which is a lovely combination of the 4 colorways.
Linking up with Main Crush Monday and Finish it Friday.