For a little over a year, I kept myself from working on transparency designs. I thought a lot about whether or not I would want to write a book and so instead of creating all the ideas and designs in my head, I filed them away and decided to think for a while. After a lot of thought, I decided that writing a book about transparency design was not in my best interest, and I think by now you might be catching on that I am having a lot of fun working through this backlog of ideas.
Today, I am really excited to share a new transparency design that is included in the 2018 Quilter’s Planner, Transparent Ribbons.
I am keenly drawn to thinking about transparency when you consider it as a motive: removing the sense of needing to live behind a veil of secrecy and living fully and authentically is a large personal goal. Transparent Ribbons is another design doodle that I started with the goal of creating overlapping shapes for color value / transparency fabric selection play. The angled design and way that the blocks can relate to one another create a rippling chain, like a swirling candy ribbon or, more metaphorically, like how choices in life can ripple and cascade.
Once again, Kitty Wilkin from Night Quilter‘s beautiful outdoor photography are going to be a feature in the 2018 Quilter’s Planner. I especially adore this detail photograph that she took of Transparent Ribbons because the transparent flowers and grass in the foreground transitioning to out of focus transitioning to in focus really make my heart happy and are a visual representation of a lot of my thoughts and ideas behind why transparency in quilt design speaks to me. Finding focus; finding the places of overlap and collaboration.
Quilter’s Planner 2018 New Features:
- 12 monthly blocks featured in a new Quilter’s Planner Sampler Quilt pattern by Cheryl Brickey
- A full-color, glossy companion magazine with 13 quilting and sewing patterns by top designers (including Transparent Ribbons!!!)
- 4 pages of planner stickers by Alison Glass
- 15 coloring pages by Alison Glass
- Yearly goals planning page
- Fabric chart from Andover Fabrics featuring Alison Glass fabrics
- Personal measurement chart for personal garment sewing
Don’t forget the QP Mini planner!
- Small 5″ x 7″ booklet, 84 pages
- Undated daily planning pages with to-do lists, appointments and shopping lists
- Meal planning and grocery lists
- Graph paper and blank pages
- Projects-at-a-glance pages
- Project planning pages
Transparent Ribbons was made using Kona Cotton in Berry (darkest/background), Cerise, Azalea, and Candy Pink (lightest).
I am very happy to see my friend Stephanie from Late Night Quilter‘s vision for the Quilter’s Planner continue to grow each year, and I am very excited about the 2018 planner. I look forward to seeing all the beautiful versions of Transparent Ribbons that are created!
For U.S. pre-orders, you can pre-order the 2018 Quilter’s Planner or 2018 Quilter’s Planner bundle now! If you are an international reader, the Fat Quarter Shop has pre-orders with international shipping.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate links do not increase the price for you but provide me with a small commission from your purchase. For more information, you can read my disclosure policy.