I spent the bulk of yesterday morning doing administrative planning work. It felt good to get through some items on my “to-do” list, but it wasn’t the most fulfilling kind of progress to make. So just before lunch I treated myself to a break and I cut my fabric for my first RinAlong quilt block.
As you might tell with some close inspection of the photo above, my first experience of cutting 16 layers of fabric went pretty well but there are some areas that are not as accurate as might be possible with more practice. Hence why I only cut fabric for one block: so I have time to evaluate the process and maybe make a few changes for next time!
After lunch I was able to get the block basted. Many thanks to all of you who not only left such helpful comments on my last RinAlong update post, but who also sent me lovely emails and support! As a result of the suggestions, I lightly glue basted the applique pieces in place before starting the thread basting: just small dabs in the center of the “petals” well away from the edges to help keep everything aligned.
I stared with the interior circle of the outer applique piece. Another result of the suggestions I received: I used black thread for the needle turn applique. I did clip the edges of the fabric to help it turn under, and for the most part I was really pleased with my first set of stitches!
Since I did so well with the first circle, I moved on to stitching down the outer circle of the inner ring of applique. It was easier to turn under and moved along smoothly. The gap between the rings is not perfectly even, but I am more than pleased with my first attempt at this new (to me) method of piecing.
The slightly erratic nature of my circles is definitely easy to see from the back of the block, but overall I am pleased with the consistency of my stitch length. I think that my enjoyment and experience of hand stitching binding probably helped. Hopefully the bit of practice I got by making this progress will be helpful when I start sewing the more complicated petal shapes.