I really liked breaking down my planning last year into shorter term and big picture goals, and I am going to follow that same structure for 2017. I am also shortening my goal lists for 2017 with the aim to have a bit more focus, which is probably due to the fact that I have been feeling very overwhelmed and scattered these last few months of 2016.
Shorter Term / Actionable Goals
- Co-host 2017 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop
- Goal 1: Move the schedule up so that it is over by summer.
- Goal 2: Work for a smooth transition with new co-hosts and start phasing myself out (I think 2017 will be my last year to co-host).
- Give myself a raise (I am going to $25/hour for my time).
- If I continue to get interest in local clientele for long arm quilting, I will need to put thought into cost per square inch, I think. However, only having done one quilt so far, the need for putting thought into that is not high. 🙂
- Focus on pattern writing (I have soooo many ideas!).
- Submit ideas to magazines more frequently.
- Say “no” to most bees, swaps, and quilt alongs for the year: basically, I’m aiming for slightly more “selfish” quilting for the year (although focused quilting is probably more accurate).
- In that vein, I did not sign up for the Stash Bee in 2017, but I am participating in Molli Sparkles Honey Pot Bee as all the blocks I make in that bee I will be keeping for myself.
Big Picture Goals
- Remember my overarching life goal of seeking mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual balance.
- Continue to embrace the “seek rejection” philosophy.
- For those unfamiliar with the idea, reaching out and asking for something (magazine submission, for example) can seem overwhelming and hard due to the fear of rejection or being told “no”. Letting myself ask and submit with the risk of being told “no” is scary, and resiliency in rejection is something I want to continue to cultivate within myself.
- Be gentle with myself.
- What a great reminder. I have not been doing a great job of this lately.
- I have some big picture goal thinking to do. Honestly, I want to be open and flexible with my plans in case life continues to be a bit unpredictable in other non-quilting areas.
- This sounds vague, and it is intentionally so. Please know that I am well, my family is well, and there are no “major” changes on the near horizon. I just want want to keep family and my big picture goal #1 above really keenly in focus.
Linking up with the 2017 Planning Party.