I was really excited yesterday morning to get the binding sewn down to finish the Cocoa Leaf quilt. Before I jump to some finish photos, let’s pause and talk a bit about trimming such a large quilt with lots and lots of negative space.
Bottom line: trimming a quilt like this is a challenge. I use carpenter’s squares, long metallic measuring tapes that I borrow from the garage, and the lines from the floor planks in my home to help eyeball “straight”. I measure across the top, middle, bottom and ponder. Then I measure across the left, center, and right and ponder some more. It takes time and patience. Another trick I like to use is to get it as close as I can with out over-trimming areas (if I’m worried), and then I fold the quilt in half and see how it naturally folds and lays on itself and trim it again with the overlap. That is an easy trick that can show the areas that are just a bit too wide.
I got a bit of a surprise when I went to cut the batting for the quilt top. I had thought I created a 72″ by 92″ quilt top, but I guess I really made a 72″ by ~100″ quilt top. So instead of just being a queen size topper, the quilt will either have a bit of overhang at the foot of a queen sized bed or offer the ability to tuck in pillows at the top!
Quilting is such a magical part of the quilt making process. It blends things together and gives a quilt a cohesive look, and I am especially fond of how quilting the leaf veins into the center medallion swirl finishes off this design. I used 50wt Aurifil 2309 (Silver White) on top and 50wit Aurifil 2000 (Light Sand) in the bobbin for the quilting. I had 2 brand new spools of large thread in those colors, which are just a shade or two different, and I knew that I would need more than one large spool for the project. I doubt anyone but me would ever know unless I told them there is a difference. And it worked perfectly as I used about 3/4 of each large spool or approximately 1.25 miles of thread! I used 50wt Aurifil 2715 (Robins Egg) to machine stitch down the binding (Kona Stratosphere).
The back of the quilt is solid Kona Stratosphere and I love how the quilting shows off the design in a more subtle way. The swirls were purposefully left to be more like ocean waves or swells as a nod to the fact that this quilt is going to live on the big island of Hawaii. The quilt finished at 67.5 inches wide by 95 inches long after first wash, and I used Quilter’s Dream Green batting.
Linking up with Finish it Friday.