Star Light Star Dark
2016 Finished Quilts, Quilts

Star Light Star Dark {Finished Quilt}

I am working my way through my stack of completed quilt tops and turning them into finished quilts. Today I am super excited to share my Star Light Star Dark QAL finish!

Star Light Star Dark - Finished Quilt

Star Light Star Dark – Finished Quilt

Because I have a pretty big backlog of quilts to complete at the moment, and because I have many other pulls for my time (hosting the 2016 Cloud9 New Block Blog Hop was awesome but took a lot of time and effort at my computer, and I am wrapping up my own free Snowflake Shimmer QAL, too…), I started quilting my Star Light Star Dark quilt with the intention of keeping it simple and getting it done. So, knowing I had a little over 1 hour to work on the quilting, I wound 2 bobbins, loaded the quilt sideways on my long arm, and started with some really loose straight line quilting from side to side (so the the final lines would end up up and down on the quilt). Needless to say, I couldn’t leave well enough alone and ran out of my 2 bobbins before I was even 1/3rd of the way through the quilting. And I ran out of time. The quilt gets what the quilt wants, yes? LOL

Star Light Star Dark - Quilting Detail

Star Light Star Dark – Quilting Detail

Since I had started with such widely spaced lines (somewhere around 1 to 1.5 inch organic spacing), I first cut those in half. And then in half again… sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. And then I decided to throw in a few free motion motifs between the lines; sometimes I quilted between the wider spaced lines, sometimes I squeezed between the more narrow lines.

Star Light Star Dark - Quilting Detail

Star Light Star Dark – Quilting Detail

When selecting the thread color for quilting, I came across a 50wt Aurifil spool that just sang to me: 2870 (Green). As much as it would seem a bright green would stand out across the lighter colors or contrast with the deeper blue in the quilt, it blends in and helps pull the scrappy colors of the quilt top together, I think.

Star Light Star Dark - Quilt Back

Star Light Star Dark – Quilt Back

The quilt back is pieced Michael Miller Cotton Couture in Wave with a slice of Kona Bluegrass. I love the texture and quilting detail that can be seen against the solid backing!

Star Light Star Dark - Quilt Back Quilting Detail

Star Light Star Dark – Quilt Back Quilting Detail

Thankfully, instead of leaving the quilt unfinished and waiting for the final quilting for a week as I had feared, I was able to sneak in the finishing of the quilting the next morning. I did have to set it aside for finishing (trimming and binding), but I only used up 3 more bobbins completing the quilting.

Star Light Star Dark

Star Light Star Dark

Sticking with the green theme, I chose to bind the quilt with a continuous (non-scrappy) binding in dark green using one of the dark green prints from the quilt top (a print from Connecting Threads), and I used the same 50wt Aurifil 2870 to machine stitch it to the quilt. My version of the Star Light Star Dark quilt finished at 45-inches wide by 51-inches long.

Linking up with Finish it Friday and Jess @Quilty Habit for the final Star Light Star Dark link party!

59 thoughts on “Star Light Star Dark {Finished Quilt}

1. Kelly Beck says:

WOW,WOW,WOW!!! I love this quilt!!!

2. Susan Clarkson says:

I love the quilting. It’s beautiful!

3. Pam L says:

The quilt did speak to you while quilting! The finish is georgious! Love the staight line combined with the curved detail.

4. Absolutely stunning, Superb design, fab quilting, and those fabrics, WOW from me too.

5. Lena says:

It’s great to be able to hear what the quilt is whispering to you))) Adding the free-motion designs between the straight lines was a brilliant idea! Congrats on the finish!

6. I love the skinny line quilting. It give such a cushy effect.

7. Cindy says:

I love the random free motion motifs! They really stand out between the straighter lines.

8. Are you kidding me with these pictures, Yvonne?! You’ve totally transformed the SLSD quilt. <3 <3 <3 Just wow!! I love that you listened to your quilt (have you read the book by Barbara Persing? She lectured to our guild once and I was in awe). The green is the perfect blend for the cool colors. Congrats on another GORGEOUS finish and thank you so much for quilting along with me!

9. Katie says:

I love the way that you added the free motion quilting between some of the lines! I have never seen that done before and I love the look 🙂

10. Paige says:

Yvonne! I LOVE this! Your quilting outstanding! I want to try this on my domestic machine.

11. Cindy says:

Beautiful! Love the quilting I am glad you listened to the quilt it is spectacular.

12. Miriam says:

Wow! Wow! And WOW! This leaves me almost speechless, but not quite… YOU turned a beautiful top into an extraordinary quilt with your stunning quilting!
    I really don’t know how you fit all you do into 24-hour days. If you have a magic way of extending time, please share it with us/ME!

oh I like this! Your use of color is masterful and your quilting! It took your already lovely quilt up a notch! Very nice!!

14. The quilting makes me think of some kind of lace, even though it’s so vertical. It must be the density and the occasional departure from your lines that does it.

15. Pam says:

Definitely a STUNNER! Love everything about this quilt !

16. What a lovely finish! I really like the way you added variety to those vertical lines by sneaking in the other motifs. They add a lot of interest to the dense quilting.

17. This one is amazing! The colors just melt together! Quilting, perfect! I love straight line quilting and never thought about adding a few curves for added interest. Gotta try that! Yes, we must listen to our quilts!

18. Shauna says:

very cool, I love what you did, the mix of straight lines and curves looks really awesome.

19. slmrn1 says:

Love this quilt. Color blend is awesome and your quilting lines are beautiful.

20. Repeating many above but I love the idea of combining a bit of FMQ between the straight stitch lines. It is gorgeous. Also, green is may favorite color and the shades here are really pretty – the blue and green together=awesome!

21. Awesome quilt and the quilting is outstanding. The quilt knows what the quilt wants and the quilter listened!!! Amazing!!!

22. Rochelle Summers says:

Yvonne, what a beautiful quilt. The view from the back is awesome but the top is magnificient. The quilting adds another layer of texture to an already beautiful quilt.

23. Audrey says:

I am SO glad you let the quilt have what it wanted. It is absolutely stunning–definitely one of my favorite quilt finishes from you! I think I love it so much because I feel like I could actually do something like this on one of my own quilts. YUM!

24. Tish says:

Yes! Yes! Yes! The quilt spoke and I’m glad you listened. The quilting just gives it an extra layer of fun. I’m always amazed at how different threads play with fabrics, sometimes it’s quite surprising what can work. Congrats on your finish. So what does this bring the tally to?

25. billiemick says:

Stunning! The fabric is gorgeous, but your excellent quilting made this stunning.

26. Gorgeous Quilt in great colors! The quilting is wonderful too.

27. Marla says:

I love everything about your quilt. Very cool.

i have to +1 all the other commenters. I’m wowed with the beauty of all of your quilts, but his quilt … stunning, gorgeous, amazing, worldly, celestial, no words describe how you transformed this quilt top into a piece of art. Love it!

29. Little Black Cat Quilting says:

Love the quilt! And the quilting is gorgeous as always. 🙂 And I agree, the quilt he’s what the quilt wants! Lol

30. oh I lovey lovey love it!!! It always makes me happy when a quilt and I are having a convo, such a delight and a knowing that everything is going as it should 🙂 XOXO!!

31. kris says:

Wow oh wow that is beautiful!!

32. Izzy says:

Wow – this is gorgeous! The quilting is just perfect – if the quilt talks you have to listen right? 🙂

33. Karen says:

Oh. . . your quilting! Just look at it! Amazingly gorgeous!

34. Hilary says:

The quilt turned out amazing! Love how you quilted it 🙂

35. Kaja says:

I like this a lot. The quilt was very pretty to start with but your clever quilting has definitely given it that extra something.

36. Martina says:

Oh, it is a wonderful quilt and the quilting is amazing. Yep, quilting makes the quilt¨!! Love the finish(binding) in green very much too!
    Hugs Martina

37. Leanne says:

Lovely quilt! The quilting is so inspiring, I might give this concept a try on my next straight line project!

38. Vera says:

Great version of the pattern and fab texture! Well done!

39. carolegoldquilts says:

An hour and two bobbins? Bwahaha! This quilt obviously had other ideas…and I’m glad you listened. Love it!!!

40. I like what your quilt had to say when it came to quilting it. I like the contrast of the rows of motifs between all the straight line quilting.

41. The quilting really makes this quilt shine! Love the star pattern.

42. I love the quilting! It is so complimentary and adds such a great texture to the quilt!

43. So gorgeous! The quilting is amazing!! <3

44. Wow! This is pretty ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

45. The quilting adds such amazing texture to the quilt! The rows with extra FMQ designs add a new layer of interest to the star piecing!

46. I absolutely love how you added in some curves to soften the look of the straight line quilting. I have experienced times where the quilt wanted something different than I planned. It is best to listen. 😉

47. What a fun way to quilt this – in patterned stripes. I like it!

48. Abigail says:

I love this quilt and the quilting Yvonne!!!

49. quiltingtn says:

I love this quilt and the way you quilted it. Wonderful!