Back in December, I hosted the #2016Planning Party, and Leanne @Devoted Quilter reminded me of the goal setting this week when she paused for a mid year review. I found some time this past week to sit down and review the goals I set for myself, and I welcome you to take this opportunity to look back and reflect on your year as well, even if you did not join the original link up. I’m offering a #2016MidYearReview link up below, and I’ll try to find a few prizes to giveaway to those who link up. 🙂
I broke my goals for the year into shorter term / actionable goals and big picture goals. So, I’m just going to dive in and see how things are going!
Shorter Term / Actionable Goals
- Co-host 2016 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop
- Check! In fact, the last week of the blog hop kicks off in less than 48 hours, which is hard for me to believe. Where has the year gone??
- Co-host additional new block blog hop(s)
- So far I have had the pleasure of hosting the Paintbrush Studio New Block Blog hop.
- Write and release (4) self-published patterns
- I have over achieved a bit in this category. I have written and released Beacon, Double Mobius, High Road Low Road, and Red Herring. I am also releasing Snowflake Shimmer as a free Quilt Along, I just announced Bundle Buster which is first debuting in the August Stash Builder Box but will be available as a self-published pattern shortly, I am super excited to share a new pattern that I developed for the 2017 Quilter’s Planner with you soon, and I wrote and released my 2016 Patreon Secret Quilt Pattern. I also have another pattern as part of a big and new collaboration that I can’t wait to tell you more about in the upcoming months, so that adds up to 9 patterns so far in 2016 which is more than twice my goal! Whew!
- Donate (2) quilts
- Make and send all my Stash Bee blocks on time
- Just over halfway through the year and so far, so good!
- Submit quilts for consideration to juried quilt shows (like QuiltCon 2017)
- I submitted quilts for the AQS show in Grand Rapids (and had them juried in!). In fact, they just arrived after shipping. 🙂 I also submitted and had Sunburst accepted into the Modern Quilt Guild Showcase, which I will need to ship to arrive before August 5th. And I have plans to submit several quilts for QuiltCon2017 by the November deadline.
- Submit quilts to my local fair
- I almost did not submit quilts this year because I did so well on goal 6! However, I submitted The Humans Are Dead and my Gray Snowflake Shimmer quilt.
- Make and send swap quilts on time
- Again, so far, so good.
- Try something new in both quilting and blogging
- My Snowflake Shimmer Quilt Along qualifies in both categories here. It is the first time I have written a quilt pattern in a quilt along style and the first time I am hosting a quilt along on my blog!
Big Picture Goals
- Remember my overarching life goal of seeking mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual balance.
- One of the nice things about life is that it has a way of reminding you when you push something too far out of balance. I think I was over focusing on the physical and I hurt my lower back a few weeks ago. Since then, I have returned to a more achievable exercise routine and found more time for quilting which is great for the mental, emotion, and spiritual parts of myself.
- I give myself permission to not make a quilt a week in 2016 (which was a pseudo-unwritten goal I had in mind for 2015). If I do, that is great. If I don’t, that is not a failure (see above).
- I am still making a lot of quilts, but I am definitely not going to make 52 quilts this year. In fact, I’m not sure I’ll even get to 40 (we’ll see).
- Continue to embrace the “seek rejection” philosophy. Recently, I have been boldly stepping outside of my comfort zone asking for sponsorship as I plan for hosting blog hops in 2016. I would also love to cultivate blog sponsorship relationships, publication opportunities, and continue to submit my quilts to juried quilt shows. Letting myself ask and submit with the risk of being told “no” is scary, and resiliency in rejection is something I want to continue to cultivate within myself.
- Oh goodness, I am definitely actively seeking rejection. I am openly asking for sponsorship or support much more frequently. I still don’t hear back from a lot of my requests or told no, but sometimes I get a yes or two.
- Be gentle with myself. This is a nice counterpoint and way to bring balance to the fear of the “seeking rejection” philosophy. If I can offer support and gentleness for others, I can surely cultivate some self-care. Perhaps letting myself take a restroom break as soon as I recognize the urge instead of continuing to sew, “one more seam!” might be a good place to start! 😉
- I am writing this post after I gave myself permission not to sew for the afternoon and took a nap. I think that sounds like good self-care (and my back and body are thanking me for it)!
- Say yes to opportunities without fear of large growth and say no to things that do not resonate with me. Basically I am just putting this out there in the hopes that it generates more opportunities worth saying YES to!
- I have said yes to some really great opportunities this year, and I am definitely excited to tell you more about them in the coming months. I am trying to think about if I have said “no” to anything in particular, but at the moment I feel like the projects in the future are all exciting and that feels good.
Wow, I honestly am really amazed at what 2016 has already brought to fruition, and I am excited about what still is ahead!
Now it’s your turn! The #2016MidYearReview linky party will be open today (Saturday, July 16th) through Sunday, July 31st at midnight (Eastern Standard Time). There will be several giveaways up for grabs for those who link up, so grab the button code below and click on the blue “Add your link” button below to submit your entry!
2 winners will each get their choice of 1 digital PDF quilt pattern from Quilting Jetgirl.
2 winners will each get their choice of 1 digital PDF quilt pattern from Meadow Mist Designs.
2 winners will each get their choice of 1 digital PDF quilt pattern from Sew Fresh Quilts.
1 winner will receive a 2017 Quilter’s Planner.
2 winners will receive one 10 small spool Aurifil thread collection.
1 winner will receive a $25 Fat Quarter Shop gift certificate.
2 winners will receive 6 months subscriptions to Make Modern.