Today I am thrilled to share the finished Rockabilly Baby Quilt! It might be a bit hard to tell, but the photos below are of the quilt pre- and post-wash. After quilting, binding, and wash, the quilt finished at 55-inches wide by 65-inches long (~8% shrinkage from the flimsy finish of 60 x 70).
As this was a quilt for a customer, I didn’t get too creative on photographing the quilt (even though I was tempted to take it out into our snow earlier this week). Instead, I focused on trying to de-lint the quilt as much as possible (black backing fabric shows all kinds of lint!) and trying to get a few photographs of the texture I added to the quilt with the various quilting motifs.
One of the features of the quilt that I was curious about was the appliqued letters. I was very pleased with how they came through the wash, though!
I organically quilted around the outer circles free-hand with 3-4 passes around each circle. I also free hand outlined the large wonky rectangle blocks at the bottom of the quilt. I like how simple stitch in the ditch can disappear as a detail on the front of a quilt but really give the design a pop and clarity on the backing. I was pleasantly surprised at my general ability to do the large angles and circles relatively smoothly without a ruler. I saw that Leanne @she can quilt called this style of quilting “industrial”, and I think it worked well for this quilt. Over most of the quilt I used a large swirl pattern. The swirl made me think of both the Treble and Base clef symbols, but also made me think of music growing and swelling.
I used 50 wt Aurifil 4030 (Plum) for the top of the quilt and Aurifil 2692 (black) in my bobbin. I usually prefer to match my bobbin to my top thread, but in this case I really wanted the quilting to blend well on both sides. Overall I am pleased with the results. There are a few places where the top of bobbin thread can be seen through on the opposite sides, but in general it gave the effect I was going for for this quilt top.
I really had fun adding organic clam shells or “scales” on top of the Little Tinies Scales in Lilac print inside the wonky rectangles. I densely matchstick quilted the horizontal and vertical lines with large circles (whole notes) for the spaces in between.
Overall, the quilt took 17 hours to design, piece, quilt and bind.