I dove right into the fabric I ordered for the Rockabilly Baby Quilt, and I am excited to share the finished flimsy with you today!
I based the design inspiration for the quilt on several ads that I found online. The circle marque, wonky rectangles, and sets of offset lines that are in the quilt top were all pulled and based on the graphic art I found in these inspiration images.
In order to pull off the circle marque look that I was hoping for, I created a template and sewed the circles into the background fabric as one piece. And having struggled with applique puckering in the past, I called my mom (who is also a quilter) on Sunday afternoon to pick her brain about the stitch to use for applique. I usually try a zig-zag stitch, and she suggested I use a blanket stitch instead. I even made sure I knew which side of the fabric each edge of the blanket stitch should be catching, and I enjoyed the best success with applique I have ever had! Thanks, mom!
The quilt top finishes out at 60 1/2-inches wide by 70-inches long. I expect to get to start quilting this fun quilt today or tomorrow, and I will be using some of the purple Aurifil thread I picked up just before Christmas.