I am thrilled to get to share with you about Jan Ochterbeck @The Colorful Fabriholic‘s recent AQS publication, Cut and Shuffle Quilts (available for purchase from AQS and Amazon *not affiliate links*). I met Jan in May 2014 as part of the 2014 New Quilt Bloggers Blog Hop, and I have enjoyed continuing to get to know her through her blog. When she reached out to me to see if I would review her book, I enthusiastically agreed, and today I get to share with you my finished version of her Alternate Four Corners quilt.
Cut and Shuffle packs a lot into a deceptively thin book. The method is ingenious: Jan starts with a block she called the “block mama” which is then cut apart and re-arranged to create 4 different quilt designs (Jan has also recently demonstrated a 5th configuration on her blog!).
The book offers multiple color stories for each quilt design, and I was concerned that I would have a hard time picking out a version and deciding on a color scheme when so many had already been presented. However, when I saw the Alternate Four Corners design, I knew immediately that I could have some fun playing with transparency!
I shopped my stash for this quilt. If it seems a bit familiar, it is because I was able to use up left over fabric from Red Herring (Kona Bahama Blue and Kona Oasis) along with a 1 yard cut of Kona Turquoise that I had on hand.
Even the backing is left over from Red Herring; I pieced bits of the left over StudioE Prisms fabric.
I had a blast working on this quilt. The blocks come together quickly and look like they are far more complex than they are in reality. The method is very clever, the instructions are clear, and I enjoyed getting to put my own touch on the design with the transparency color play.
I used a combination of Aurifil 1125 (in the bobbin) and 1320 (on top) for the quilting. I pondered whether to go with an all over design or if I wanted to quilt each color separately. In the end, practicality won out (I kind of dreaded all the thread stops and starts) and I was able to get the quilting done in just a few hours, even though it is quite dense.
I used Kona Bahama Blue for the binding (it was the only fabric I had enough left to make a full binding). I machine stitched it to the back and front using Aurifil 5006, which blends perfectly.
The finished quilt top is 36 inches wide by 48 inches long.