I am thrilled to share the finished lap quilt for Project Linus today. Just like with the baby quilt, the blocks were designed and created during the 2015 New Block Blog Hop. Thank you so much to the 19 women who designed and created the blocks used in this quilt. They are listed below left to right, top to bottom as seen in the quilt, and the links take you to the free tutorials on how to replicate the blocks seen here.
Lap Quilt (L to R, top to bottom)
- Anja @Anja Quilts
- Julie @Pink Doxies
- Cassandra @The (not so) Dramatic Life
- Chelsea @Patch the Giraffe
- Jinger @Trials of a Newbie Quilter
- Renee @Quilts of a Feather
- Cheryl @Meadow Mist Designs
- Tish @Tish’s Adventures in Wonderland
- Robyn @Hoops & Thimbles
- Lori @SewPsyched!
- Stephanie @Quilt’n Party
- Emma @My Handmade Home
- Leanne @Devoted Quilter
- Eleanor @Cat Approved Quilting
- Helen @Midget Gem Quilts
- Francine @Mocha Wild Child
- Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl
- Diana @Red Delicious Life
- Cindy @Stitchin At Home
- Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl
Also, a huge thank you to Fabri-Quilt (Inspired by Fabric) who donated all the fabric for this quilt top including extra white for the sashing, enough yardage (in turquoise) for the backing, and royal blue binding.
Once again, I treated each block individually from a quilting perspective, and I had a lot of fun allowing myself to relax and “play” as I went along. I did all the quilting on my long arm free handed; I did not use rulers. The quilting pattern in the sashing was inspired by a border design in Angela Walter’s book, Shape by Shape. Everything else I made up as I went along.
I quilted with 50wt Aurifil 2021 on the top and in the bobbin, so the block designs and quilting really pop out against the solid turquoise backing. My intent was to outline the piecing in every block so that the design would be recognizable on the back, and I also played a lot with different free motion quilting motifs within each block.
I really love how recognizable the blocks remain from the view on the back. Isn’t that seahorse just delightful?
I used 9 bobbins, which means I was just shy of using an entire large spool of 50wt thread for the quilting alone (10 bobbins + thread for the top = 1 large spool on my long arm).
To be safe, I washed both quilts together using 2 capfuls of Synthrapol and 2 color catchers. The color catchers did pick up a bit of loose dye, but they were mostly a light gray when I pulled them out of the wash.
I just love the poof and pucker that shows up after a quilt gets its first wash. Especially in blocks that are less densely quilted.
Baby Quilt Statistics
- Finished Flimsy: 36.5-inches by 52.25-inches
- After Quilting / Binding: 36-inches by 50.5-inches (~3% shrinkage)
- After First Wash: 33.5-inches by 48.5-inches (~8% shrinkage)
Lap Quilt Statistics
- Finished Flimsy: 56-inches by 70-inches
- After Quilting / Binding: 55-inches by 68.5-inches (~2% shrinkage)
- After First Wash: 52.5-inches by 64.5-inches (~8% shrinkage)
Both quilts used a mystery cotton batting that came with my long arm, and I am pleased to say that I used up the last of the roll with these quilts (other than some scrap batting).
I am really looking forward to turning these quilts over to my local quilt shop who will coordinate getting them into the hands of children in need this holiday season.