Five Minute Hexie Coasters
Sewing Project

Hexie Coasters

Yesterday in my blog reading, I came across a fantastic tutorial by Sharla @Thistle Thicket Studio: the 5 Minute Hexie Coaster Tutorial. I seriously could not wait to give them a try, and I love how they came together.

Five Minute Hexie Coasters

Five Minute Hexie Coasters

It did take me a bit of time to prep the fabric to make the coasters. I did not have any precut hexies on hand, but I found a great tutorial on how to cut hexies by Katy @from the blue chair. I cut hexagons that were 6-inches point to point and then followed Sharla’s tutorial.

Five Minute Hexie Coasters

Five Minute Hexie Coasters

Early in the morning, we had a bit of light rain yesterday. The rain is so welcome (the drought has been so horrible) and the fact that it was gentle enough to soak in and not fast or hard enough to cause more mudslides was extra wonderful. In fact, seeing a rainbow yesterday morning probably helped inspire my fabric pull for these coasters. 🙂

Monday Morning Rainbow

Monday Morning Rainbow

Tip: When turning the coasters right side out, I used a chopstick to help push out the corners.

Five Minute Hexie Coasters

Five Minute Hexie Coasters

I gave the coasters away almost as soon as I made them. I’m pretty sure I’ll be making more in the near future *squirrel*. Thanks for the great tutorial, Sharla!

23 thoughts on “Hexie Coasters

1. Michele T says:

I’ve seen these before too… They sure are cute!!! I have to make some too!!

2. Cindy says:

Too cute! When I have time I’m going to have to make some.

3. Tish says:

Hmmm…I’m thinking these could make cute fast Christmas presents. I will have to check out her tutorial. Thanks for sharing. If I could figure out a way to bottle up some of the excess rain we have here in the Appalachians, I would trade you for some of the warm sunshine. Then we could both have a very nice balance 🙂

4. DeborahGun says:

I saw a quick tutorial for these on IG but couldn’t quite figure it out! Love your rainbow coloured ones – they really stood out to me on my blog feed :-)j

5. So cute! I saw these on Instagram a while back and thought they would be fun and easy to make! I may have to give them a try!

6. Jan O says:

Cute coasters and great tutorial – thanks for the link. I could also see them as Christmas ornaments, embellished with beads or tiny bells and ribbons.

7. We have been getting a nice gentle rain here in Southern Oregon and it is fantastic. Rainbows always seem to bring inspiration for me, they are so pretty. I appreciate the link for this tutorial. These will make a great gift. Yours turned out fantastic! Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful creative day!

8. Shauna says:

so so cute, love the bright colors.

9. Karen says:

Well, Yvonne, these are just too cute! They might be the perfect place for me to try out hexies that are just the right size for a beginner (if I can figure out the cutting). Even here in usually lush, green Maine we’ve had a lot of feast or famine for rain this past year. Hmmm–climate change, anyone?

10. sally says:

So cute, and you’re becoming a complete hexie convert! So, apart from cutting out the hexie shapes, were they close to the promised 5 minutes?

11. Thanks for sharing the hexie coasters as they will make great gifts.

12. Lara B. says:

These are the cheeriest hexie coasters ever Yvonne! So glad you had some rain and some rainbow inspiration! Thank you for sharing the links too!

13. Lisa says:

Thanks for sharing the link to Sharla’s tutorial. I love your coasters. I need to make a small gift to bring to a guild meeting so I think this will be perfect.

14. Too cute! Love the bright colors. I have a hexie ruler and haven’t used it yet, now I know what to use it for! 🙂

15. Rochelle says:

Love those bright colors. You always provide such interesting content and the juxtaposition of the bright colors with the cloudy sky is intriguing. We had snow (yeah!!) but it melted fast down at our elevation. Hoping for more.

16. Jasmine says:

These are so cute. I love both your rainbows.

17. Hannah says:

Absolutely wonderful! I’m going over to grab that tutorial NOW. I wish I could give you some of the rain clouds that have taken a fancy to England this week. And the week before. And before that. 🙂

18. That is such a cute project and it looks like a quick finish too which is always nice!

19. How adorable are those?! Sometimes a fast and easy project is just what you need. A perfect diversion to get one back on track.

20. These are fun. I really like the shapes and the colors. Homemade coasters are the best.

21. Renee says:

I saw the coasters tutorial pop on IG a few weeks ago, I think…I love the fun color you chose, but especially love the ones you gave me! <3