Miss A, Mr. L, their mom, and I want to thank everyone who contributed blocks to the making of these quilts from the bottom of our hearts. I had no idea that the kids would want to be so involved in the making of their quilts, and the process has been truly a wonderful experience for all of us. Thank you so very, very much.
The kids did an awesome job making blocks, sewing together their quilt tops, and quilting their quilts! They picked out the fabric for the backing (which was also the same fabric used for the binding on each quilt). And I am excited to say that we are going to work together to make a quilt or two to donate to Project Linus. They want to keep quilting. With me. *Swoon*!!
The second block that Mr. L pieced for his quilt is this baseball block. After he finished the quilting and I put on the binding, I went back with some red thread and hand quilted on the stitches for the baseball.
So has is sunk in that Mr. L pieced an amazing circle, yet? These kids: they have no fear. They have an idea and I do my best to help guide them and talk about how to make it happen. And then boom: a baseball. It is amazing and thrilling for me to watch.
When Miss A finished quilting her quilt, she laid it out on the floor and implored Puppy the cat to come lay on it (“Puppy, why don’t you lay on my quilt? You always lay on <Mr. L>’s quilt?”). I got out Puppy’s brush and she proceeded to win him over with lots of gentle affection and care. And in the end he was sprawled across her quilt. When I was working to get the binding ready to stitch down, he came over to inspect my work and make sure I was doing it right. So, Miss A, Puppy is keeping a careful eye on things for you when you are not around!
Miss A used 50wt Aurifil 1148 (light jade) to quilt her quilt, and I used it to stitch down the binding as well.
Miss A’s quilt weighs 3.5 pounds. Prior to the first wash, her quilt measured 55.5-inches by 65-inches, and after the first wash it measures 52.5-inches by 61.5-inches (~5.5% shrinkage).
Mr. L used 50wt Aurifil 2021 (natural white) for the top of his quilt and 50wt Aurifil 2735 (medium blue) in the bobbin. I also used 2735 to attach the binding.
Mr. L’s quilt weighs 3.5 pounds. Prior to the first wash, his quilt measured 56-inches by 64.5-inches, and after the first wash it measures 52.5-inches by 61.5-inches (~6% shrinkage).
Each quilt maker proudly rolled themselves into a quilt burrito to give them a try, and I know they are going to have a lot of pride of ownership and use over the years.