I had a lot of fun making this set of 4 placemats for friends last week. Now that they have received the placemats, I can tell you about them!
My friends are amazing individuals, and a wonderful couple. She fell in love with flying on their first date and is a certified pilot now, too. They built a custom airplane together that he races at the Reno Air Races (Wasabi Air Racing). You know, pretty typical things to do in your spare time. 😉
Recently, they traveled to Washington D.C. with their family and close friends and got married in the Library of Congress (*love*).
I fell in love with the colors of their wedding and how well they coordinated with the impressive architecture of the building. I have also been itching to dig into my bundle of Denyse Schmidt solids that I split with Renee @Quilts of a Feather. With their wedding photography as an inspiration point, I pulled the yellows, oranges, and reds from the Denise Schmidt solids and found a very happy color fade.
Because the colors remind me so strongly of the golden sunsets we get here in California, I quickly named the grouping California Sunset Fade. To make the placemats, I simply cut 2.5-inch wide strips of each of the colors and chain sewed them together in color order. The grouping finished at 12.5-inches, and I trimmed down the width to 18.5-inches. Each strip left me with a bit of excess, which I trimmed into a 2.5-inch wide by 12.5-inch tall stripe. I used the stripes in the pieced backing for the placemats.
When I placed the fabric order for the Cocoa Leaf Medallion quilt, I received a yard cut of Kona Dimensions in Buttercup instead of Kona Solid in Buttercup. The order was corrected, but I was left with a yard of this fun textured fabric. I used most of that yard for the rest of the pieced backing.
I polled my Instagram followers to get some help on selecting the binding for the placemats. I had auditioned a red Alison Glass Mercury print and a black Carolyn Friedlander text print along with what you can see I used. I was struggling to decide when looking at the binding against the front, but with all the yellow on the backing, it became obvious to me that the yellow / orange blender would compliment both sides better than the other two options. The good news is that the binding I used was even the winner of the popular vote!
I quilted the placemats with my walking foot and simple straight line stitching. I color coordinated the thread, using 50wt Aurifil 2130 over the 3 yellow stripes, 50wt Mettler 594 over the 2 orange stripes, and 50wt Mettler 600 over the red stripe. I used 50wt Aurifil 2130 in the bobbin and I also used the 2130 to machine sew down the binding.
It took me approximately 4 to 4.5 hours to make these placemats, and after quilting and squaring, they finished at 12-inches high by 18-inches wide (prior to first wash).
I hope my friends enjoy the placemats, and I hope the placemats remind them of their beautiful wedding.