I have been posting my quilting progress on my Instagram account, and I want to get anyone who does not follow me there up to speed on the quilting fun I have been having. After an initial loading error (I loaded the quilt top upside down and had a moment of horror when I thought I had pieced the border upside down), it has all gone smoothly. I am taking my time and planning out what to add to each section, but I think all the decisions have been made and I will be working a few hours a day until I get this gigantic 103-inch wide by 122-inch long quilt finished up. Once I unload it from my long arm, I plan to use my walking foot on my Bernina to outline the center medallion leaves one last time and then bind it! If I am super lucky I *might* have it done in time for a Friday finish… next Friday?
Using my quilting questionnaire, I spent some time talking with my clients last week. They are interested in a custom, unique, organic look. Since the inspiration for the quilt is a drum light made from dried cocoa leaves, I figured I had some good sources of inspiration to work with.
I started with some flowers on the outer border. Then I traced around the cocoa leaf applique border elements and stippled the area between the leaves. In the large negative space in the middle, I am using a swirl chain pattern to evoke wind or water.
I really want the center cocoa leaf medallion to stand out, so I chose to use a very small meandering loop in the negative space around the leaves to smash that area flat and help the leaves stand out.
As the quilt starts to roll up on the frame, I love getting the peaks of the back of the quilt. The quilt backing is solid Kona Cream, so the quilting really is going to stand out on the backing, too.
The photograph below is a view standing behind my frame looking down on the quilt. I am quilting in the leaf veins on the center cocoa leaves, and I really love how they stand out on the backing.
I had initially planned on leaving the border cocoa leaves un-quilted, but after seeing how the center leaves were looking with the veins quilted on, I decided to go back and quilt the border leaves as well. I will have to back up to touch up a few of the leaves that I have already moved beyond, but I think it was the right decision.
Through Tuesday evening, I have put in 12 hours and 15 minutes of work on the quilting. I didn’t get any good photographs of the wood grain quilting in the transition from the medallion (circle) to the square quilt, so I will just have to share one from my IG account instead.